Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Even these old FWD GLs sure handle well!

Yeah it takes an aweful lot for me to squeal the tires in my 83 sedan. Even with just front wheel drive i do better than most cars in connecticut in the snow and ice. Never gotten it stuck once. Same goes for my first subaru (an 86 EA81 hatch FWD).

same, i've climbed a snowy mountain to go to our cabin several times this year in my fwd sube. snow tires though.

I agree...I have never had a 4WD subie yet and never really had problems with any of my FWD ones..toss some snows on the front and I gotten through some stuff that 4WDs were having problems.And they do seem abit ballsier then the 4WDs ..I still love my FWD Loyale even though the thought has entered my mind of retiring him and trying to find a D/R 4WD one

I didn't mean that as much as I meant, that while a Suby of that era isn't "fast" You can drive "quick" in one and I've seen speeds as high as 80MPH and "Mr. Suby" feels pretty dialed in and stuck to the road.

I got mine up to 85mph (the top of the gauge) and didn't realize it. Then again mine is still a baby and has no problems cruising at 75 for hours on end.

• 8 months later...

try going to school in a FWD with fat bald tires in 4" of snow.My saab made it through the snow better than most SUVs.Not to mention the tire that it had snow tires and drove 1/8" of a mile up a gravel dirt road with over 14" of snow(not in lewiston).Made it though fine except the snow was piled above the bumper....

I have just been noticing that for what it is and how cheap it was, my '84 GL sure handles the road better than most cars do! Put some good tires on it and some power under the hood and it'd be quite the little roadster.

the 86 gl wagon i had yrs back used to love the twisty back roads.

and the dual range never let me down.

I think if a drop of rain fell in front of my Suby it would spin out and die. Hahah what the heck kind of suspension and tires are you guys using????

87 GL for reference.

i went from stock size (175-70r13) to 185-70s, and noticed a great deal of improvement in handling and steering response.. saying that, i suppose i should qualify it, and say it exactly as i thought it.. I have never before noticed so much difference from such a minimmal tire size change. no idea what other sizes might be like, havent tried them. 87GL-10, front wheeler with an auto, for reference