Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Even these old FWD GLs sure handle well!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 markjs

markjs

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Port Townsend, WA

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

I have just been noticing that for what it is and how cheap it was, my '84 GL sure handles the road better than most cars do! Put some good tires on it and some power under the hood and it'd be quite the little roadster.

#2 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:52 PM

i know what your saying they have some guts for economy cars

#3 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,779 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

Agreed. If my 83 didn't have snow tires on the front it would be really fun... and hum a little less too ;)

#4 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

Yeah it takes an aweful lot for me to squeal the tires in my 83 sedan. Even with just front wheel drive i do better than most cars in connecticut in the snow and ice. Never gotten it stuck once. Same goes for my first subaru (an 86 EA81 hatch FWD).

#5 wesley willis

wesley willis

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • port alberni, bc, canada

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:14 AM

Yeah it takes an aweful lot for me to squeal the tires in my 83 sedan. Even with just front wheel drive i do better than most cars in connecticut in the snow and ice. Never gotten it stuck once. Same goes for my first subaru (an 86 EA81 hatch FWD).

same, i've climbed a snowy mountain to go to our cabin several times this year in my fwd sube. snow tires though.

#6 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:00 AM

I agree...I have never had a 4WD subie yet and never really had problems with any of my FWD ones..toss some snows on the front and I gotten through some stuff that 4WDs were having problems.And they do seem abit ballsier then the 4WDs ..I still love my FWD Loyale even though the thought has entered my mind of retiring him and trying to find a D/R 4WD one

#7 markjs

markjs

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Port Townsend, WA

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:49 AM

I didn't mean that as much as I meant, that while a Suby of that era isn't "fast" You can drive "quick" in one and I've seen speeds as high as 80MPH and "Mr. Suby" feels pretty dialed in and stuck to the road.

#8 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,779 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

ripping around town and hardly braking while doing it really makes the ricer crowd look at you kinda funny. :D

Mine loves to run 75 but it can and will easily go to 85+...even though it needs a carb adj really badly.

#9 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,618 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

I didn't mean that as much as I meant, that while a Suby of that era isn't "fast" You can drive "quick" in one and I've seen speeds as high as 80MPH and "Mr. Suby" feels pretty dialed in and stuck to the road.

I got mine up to 85mph (the top of the gauge) and didn't realize it. Then again mine is still a baby and has no problems cruising at 75 for hours on end.

#10 Killer Chewbacca

Killer Chewbacca

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Qin Dynasty

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

My Subaru and I have had lots of adventures through the Colorado winters. She hasn't let me down once.

#11 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,388 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

try going to school in a FWD with fat bald tires in 4" of snow.My saab made it through the snow better than most SUVs.Not to mention the tire that it had snow tires and drove 1/8" of a mile up a gravel dirt road with over 14" of snow(not in lewiston).Made it though fine except the snow was piled above the bumper....

#12 thesquidd

thesquidd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • San Bernardino, CA

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

I think if a drop of rain fell in front of my Suby it would spin out and die. Hahah what the heck kind of suspension and tires are you guys using????

87 GL for reference.

#13 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

I have just been noticing that for what it is and how cheap it was, my '84 GL sure handles the road better than most cars do! Put some good tires on it and some power under the hood and it'd be quite the little roadster.

the 86 gl wagon i had yrs back used to love the twisty back roads.

and the dual range never let me down.

#14 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:19 AM

I think if a drop of rain fell in front of my Suby it would spin out and die. Hahah what the heck kind of suspension and tires are you guys using????

87 GL for reference.

i went from stock size (175-70r13) to 185-70s, and noticed a great deal of improvement in handling and steering response.. saying that, i suppose i should qualify it, and say it exactly as i thought it.. I have never before noticed so much difference from such a minimmal tire size change. no idea what other sizes might be like, havent tried them. 87GL-10, front wheeler with an auto, for reference

#15 Syonyk

Syonyk

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

The old gen Subies surprise a lot of people. I autocrossed my 4WD Loyale last weekend, and got a LOT of odd looks. And it gripped a lot better than I was expecting.

-=Russ=-

#16 thesquidd

thesquidd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • San Bernardino, CA

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:58 AM

Anyone have a recommendation on a shock/spring combo to run on an 87 GL as well?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users