Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Automatic vs. Manual trans for engine swap?

Hi everybody...

I'm looking into buying a '95 ej22 engine, mainly for the interest of getting experience with working on them and then maybe eventually swapping it into my '97 Outback with the phase I ej25. I've noticed on car-part.com's search engine that many engine listings specify auto or manual trans. Does it actually make a difference whether the donor car was a manual or automatic? Would there be extra conversion work necessary? My Outback is an automatic.

Oh, and I think I've got the compatability issues straight, but I would like to be extra sure....a '95 ej22 will have dual port exhaust AND the EGR port on the left head, while using anything more recent than a '95 will just require a single port header swap as well. Is this right?

Thanks a ton,

Andrew

I'm not sure about the 95-99 engines, but there were differences of sensors between the MT & AT engines. The sensors matched the ECU.

On the 95-99, I don't think they did that.

I honestly had thought that the 95 had the single port, however there are a few people that have said their 95 has the dual port. I think 95 may have been a bubble year....where they had both the single and dual port exhaust heads.....don't quote me....just a guess.