Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester acceleration noise

Hi everyone,

We have just purchased an automatic 1999 Forester with 145,000 miles and have been driving it for one week. It goes great and we are generally happy with it, BUT. Today was nice and sunny, 40 degrees and we noticed that on a slow acceleration 35-42 mph, there is this sound that sounds like it originates in the transmission and sounds like, well, a spaceship whirring. We are wondering if this is typical of this AWD vehicle? We also noticed that on slowing down, there is almost a "plane landing" sound. Now in all my research prior to this purchase, I read the Car Talk guys' test drive of the Forester and they said it was "noisy" (and that's what radios are for, hahahaha)

Any comments? I am callling the dealer tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

We have just purchased an automatic 1999 Forester with 145,000 miles and have been driving it for one week. It goes great and we are generally happy with it, BUT. Today was nice and sunny, 40 degrees and we noticed that on a slow acceleration 35-42 mph, there is this sound that sounds like it originates in the transmission and sounds like, well, a spaceship whirring. We are wondering if this is typical of this AWD vehicle? We also noticed that on slowing down, there is almost a "plane landing" sound. Now in all my research prior to this purchase, I read the Car Talk guys' test drive of the Forester and they said it was "noisy" (and that's what radios are for, hahahaha)

Any comments? I am callling the dealer tomorrow!

This is not typical. Try slowing down with the car in neutral and see if the noise disapears. I'm thinking you may have a tranny issue, but not sure.IS the tranny fluid full and not burnt?

nipper

This is not typical. Try slowing down with the car in neutral and see if the noise disapears. I'm thinking you may have a tranny issue, but not sure.IS the tranny fluid full and not burnt?

nipper

Hi,

Are you talking about the whirring "spaceship" noise ( check out the old sci-fi classic "Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers" if you want a good example of that ) or the jet plane landing noise. The spaceship noise is audible when accelerating or climbing a hill at speeds between 30 and 42 mph. It is loud enough to hear clearly and sounds like it's coming from under the car...the area of the transmission. It doesn't seem to keep pace with engine rpm or tire rpm. It stays about the same pitch, although it may increase a little bit. Hard to tell, because it fades into all the other noises (wind, tires, etc.) at about 42 mph. The jet plane landing noise is almost too quiet to hear, but it is there. It definately changes pitch with the speed of the car, but is so quiet it's hard to tell if its pitch changes with gear changes in the automatic transmission, or if it the pitch change relates to vehicle speed. Tranny fluid is full and normal looking pale red stuff on the dipstick. Don't really know what high mileage tranny fluid smells like, but this stuff doesn't smell new. It's not brown overcooked crud either...yet.

there was one time this summer mine stuck in 50-50 mode and it sounds just like what you say,pulled over put fuse in holder,started back up. next day took fuse out,never done it again ,yet.

Hi,

O.k., I don't know what 50-50 mode is, as I'm new to AWD Subarus. What is it, and how does the fuse affect its function. Also, which symptom, fairly loud Saceship whirring between 30 and 42 mph while accelerating or really quiet jet plane landing noise, did getting stuck in 50-50 mode produce?

im no expert and nobody seems to really know why these things act the way they do,supposedly at slow speeds in 1-2 gear the awd drive mode is 50 percent front 50 percent rear,as you speed up it goes down to 95 front 5 percent rear, if you put the fuse in it trips the selinoid in the trans and will not let the rear drive work. the fuse holder is under the hood most likely on pass side next to strut tower,it will hurt nothing to try this.

im no expert and nobody seems to really know why these things act the way they do,supposedly at slow speeds in 1-2 gear the awd drive mode is 50 percent front 50 percent rear,as you speed up it goes down to 95 front 5 percent rear, if you put the fuse in it trips the selinoid in the trans and will not let the rear drive work. the fuse holder is under the hood most likely on pass side next to strut tower,it will hurt nothing to try this.

First, I just want to thank the folks that are responding to my post. I semi-isolated the jet plane noise to the engine compartment. It changes pitch with engine speed, and can be heard with engine idling and tranny in neutral. Have heard this noise before come from belt-driven stuff like alternators. Not as concerned now aout that noise, but still uneasy about the spaceship lurking under the floorborards. I just discovered that the spaceship noise isn't there when the car is cold, but as it warms up the noise comes back. It also appears to happen only in one specific gear... whichever gear it is, either second or third. Don't know for sure which, but it's the one that it's in between 30 and 42 mph. May try the fuse thing, but it's 15 degrees out and dark, so I'll postpone that 'til tomorrow. Thanks again.