Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Duty C Solenoid for tranny?

I'm having a problem with the AWD working in my 95 Legacy, w/auto trans. I have been pointed towards this "duty c solenoid". Where is this located? How can I test it? Does anyone know where I might find one online? Part number?

The Duty "C" Solenoid controls fluid pressure to the rear-wheel transfer clutch pack, varying how much power is transfered to the rear wheels. It is located INSIDE of the transmission case and requires partial disassembly to service it.

The Duty "C" Solenoid controls fluid pressure to the rear-wheel transfer clutch pack, varying how much power is transfered to the rear wheels. It is located INSIDE of the transmission case and requires partial disassembly to service it.

The car has 230,000 miles on it, I have no power to the rear wheels at all. I got stuck in my driveway with the car, only the front wheels are working.

From the research I've been doing today it sounds, like the solenoid and maybe the clutch pack is shot? Sounds like it might be time to find another tranny? or is it fairly inexpensive to do the job myself? I'm a marine mechanic specializing in Suzuki so tools and a shop are not a problem.

it would be a short in the FWD fuse box? but i guess that's supposed to make a light come on in your dash.

If ONLY your front wheels are spinning, that means that the DS c is getting a good hearty 12v...

and i guess my torque bind comment has been overruled!

and 230000 miles! congrads!

become part of the high milage subaru club :brow:

lots of miles ... with that extra info im going to say the solenoid failed or the valve is stuck. At that mileage may pay to replace the tranny with a used one then to take it apart replace the solenoid and just have it fail someplace else.

What does the fluid look like in the tranny?

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I may know the answer to this question but I am not up to the level of comprehension of Subaru tech specifics as many of you obviously are, I recently aquired a 1995 Legacy 2.2l automatic right hand drive "post wagon" as it says on the door jamb. This car has 271,00 miles on it but has always recieved the best maintenance in a timely fashion (it had to )and still runs drives and even looks like a much younger car, however, there is no, I mean NO power to the rear wheels under any cicumstances, I found the excellant post about the fwd/awd switch and imediately performed the mods on my car to no avail.Transmission fluid has always been changed regularly and the former owner is an older woman who is a very conservative driver. I have seen referance to an indicator light on the dash involving fwd/awd but do not see it on my car.

My fear is that after so many miles and starts and stops the clutches that divert power to the rear wheels have just plain worn out, if I am missing an angle on this I sure would appreciate any advice, I am an experienced mechanic and would love to have the awd function so I can use my "override" switch, I have had many older generation Subarus but they were all standard trans. cars so this problem is beyond my "comfort zone" of prior knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any help and for such a useful message board!

you can replace the rear clutch packs with a used unit. but with that many miles you may want to go with a used unit. unless you're really confident of the condition of your auto trans....you know it's in great shape and was taken care of, that might be worth the risk as opposed to getting a 100,000 mile unit of questionable prior history. kind of a toss up. if you could find clutch packs cheap, it might be worth it unless you know you can score a complete trans for a good price. buying from someone who knows the trans would be better than a random junk yard, who knows what it's been through then.

run it in FWD until you find a good deal.

people do replace the rear clutch packs themself, it's not that hard from what i've heard. huck has done it and said it's like a motor cycle clutch or some weird comparison like that, he said it's fairly straight forward. and it can even be done in the car, another beautiful thing, just tilt the trans down i think and you can swap without removing the trans.

I'm having a problem with the AWD working in my 95 Legacy, w/auto trans. I have been pointed towards this "duty c solenoid". Where is this located? How can I test it? Does anyone know where I might find one online? Part number?
If you haven't seen these articles already, they might be worth your attention:

http://endwrench.com/pdf/feb2004pdf/4EAT.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAatPh2Win04.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/4EAT.pdf

The above indicate that a duty C solenoid failure will result in maximum drive to the rear wheels; by "failure", I assume it's meant that the solenoid can't be actuated (due to an open circuit, etc), or is stuck in the un-powered position. However, that would imply for the solenoid to be responsible for no rear drive, it would either have to be powered at all times, or stuck in the powered position. I've never had to deal with the duty C solenoid and so I don't know if this is practical, but if you can determine whether it is being powered all the time, it might help with the diagnosis.

you can replace the rear clutch packs with a used unit. but with that many miles you may want to go with a used unit. unless you're really confident of the condition of your auto trans....you know it's in great shape and was taken care of, that might be worth the risk as opposed to getting a 100,000 mile unit of questionable prior history. kind of a toss up. if you could find clutch packs cheap, it might be worth it .....

Thanks so much for the suggesion I believe I will pick up a used trans. asap and tear it down as an exploratory mission, if the clutch pack can be replaced without removing the trans. I'm sure I can pick up the parts cheap and of course the labor would be free, thanks again, I will post my update once something is completed!

io just replaced the clutch pack with used in my 97 obw 4eat with 98k miles. my symptons were that i was in 4wd all the time. i also had the "AT TEMP' light flashing at me when i started my car. turns out my problem was the duty soleniod.

i had a good used clutch pack from another 97obw a/t that i used to drive . my guy charged me 280 for labor, fuild and gasket. no warranty on used clutch pack.

in hind sight i should have priced (and used ) a new duty c sol. there small units and can't be very expensive. but for the labor and troubl, well worth the investment. i suspect that the clutch itself will take alot of wear and tear. i don't know what would make one fail. but the solenoid is a small electronic device held in by 2 bolts. use new!!!

good luck

• 2 weeks later...
io just replaced the clutch pack with used in my 97 obw 4eat with 98k miles. my symptons were that i was in 4wd all the time. i also had the "AT TEMP' light flashing at me when i started my car. turns out my problem was the duty soleniod.

good luck

Well thanks to all you guys for operating this message board and being so helpful!I replaced the rear clutch assy. with used that I picked up at local salvage yard for $40 ,$10 trans. fluid and about 10hrs. labor total by the time I was done. I have the manual overide switch fot the duty solenoid and if my trans. temp light can be trusted I have a good TCU and solenoid system.Weather here in the Northeast has been alternately spring or blizzard so I am already thanking the AWD for making my travel easier.

Thanks again to all, this board is awesome.