Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Many problems... Help! 85 GL-10

I recently revived my 85 gl-10 turbo wagen and some problems from before are bigger problems now.

Problem #1: The grinding noise from the front wheels is most likely the wheel bearings, right? I'm sure thats it as the car has 240,000 km's on her and sounds like thats it, so this isn't a real problem but I'll be doing them tommorow. Any tip's or tricks for the procedure, are appreciated.

Problem #2: There is a terrible noise coming from over top of the driver side head between the distributor and the alternator. I thought at first maybe the bearings on the belt tensioner or alternator where going but other opinions have confirmed that the noise is coming from further back than the alternator. The sound is getting worse. Starts nasty at idle but as I speed up it's less apparent. Sounds like another bearing is shot but where? The sound is real bad now and I'm sure something will give soon. Timing belt or sprocket? This one I haven't a clue on.

Problem #3: When the engine is cold after first starting and maybe the first half hour it surges on acceleration. This is the turbo model so is it a vacum leak or fuel injectors?

Problem #4: Electrical: The passenger front power lock doesn't work now. Is this because of a relay or? The power windows move very slow. Is this due to a need to grease the tracks or are the motors also wearing out. Also... I have the digital dash and the lights on the left side of the display conk in and out. Ground problem? In dash?

Also, also... The cruise control worked before but doesn't now. Relay? Buttons or wires?

So thats all I can think of now. What a pile of crap I have ahead of me. I don't expect all the answers but any insight on any of the problems at hand would help me to get to the ski hill this winter and make me look good to the wife.:)

#1) Might just be the axle nut needs to be retorqued. Seemingly a common problem that the nut doesn't get torqued right (142 ft-lbs???) and the splines rub in the hub.

#2) What kind of terrible noise? A knocking like a rod bearing, or a screeching/screeing noise like a rolling-element bearing going out?

#3) Ignition components, Coolant ThermoSensor (CTS), O2 sensor are all good candiadates.

#4) Don't know about the lock. The window is probably dirty switch contacts.

Thanks for the help.

The #2 problem is the big one. It's more of a screeing noise. I'm almost sure it's not a rod bearing as I just spun a rod bearing on my 73 v.w. van and it sounds nothing similar. It's definitly something closer to the surface of the engine and more a constant noise than a knock. To give an idea I thought it was something like a bearing in the pulleys like the belt tensioner or maybe alternator but the sound is more in between the alternator and distributor, right over the head.

Problem #4: Electrical: The passenger front power lock doesn't work now. Is this because of a relay or? The power windows move very slow. Is this due to a need to grease the tracks or are the motors also wearing out. Also... I have the digital dash and the lights on the left side of the display conk in and out. Ground problem? In dash?

I had a broken wire in my old Chevy that went from the car into the door. Considering the age of the car that might be it.

I also heard about poor contact in the connectors inside the door itself.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pulling the wheel bearings today. Did you know the wheel bearings are the same as the vanagons inner bearings. Jus a little FYI.

The #2 noise has me freaked now as it grows worse and I wish it would just do it's thing and at least break so I can find out what is breaking.:banghead:

Thanks for the help guys. I'm pulling the wheel bearings today. Did you know the wheel bearings are the same as the vanagons inner bearings. Jus a little FYI.

The #2 noise has me freaked now as it grows worse and I wish it would just do it's thing and at least break so I can find out what is breaking.:banghead:

You said something about a torque converter so I guess it is automatic. The noise is probably your flex plate(connects the torque converter to the crankshaft). My car was making the same noise. When it breaks you will know it.

Well after todays investigation the bad bad noise turned out to be the tensionar pulley on the drivers side. It was no more. The bearing had shatterd and the cog was spinning frealy and chewing into the plastic sheild! The car was still running strong despite this! Areal testiment to the design of these vehicles.

Tommorow, new wheel bearings, seals, and finish the install of said destroyed pulley.