Ultimate Subaru Message Board

VW Scirocco/soob engine???

coylethebarbarian

So I have had my eye on this VW Scirocco that is just sitting by this guy's garage, round headlights, looks to be the '74-79? model....I looked in the interior and was surprised to see it in great shape-few cracks in dash, but seats, headliner, etc all in very good shape, with food glass....I haven't approached the guy yet or looked at the engine compartment...But I am curious....

Someone tell me, would the conversion to a 4x4 soob engine be possible??? Or better yet, tell me where to go to look up the parts needed, and where to research this conversion! Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated...

Someone tell me, would the conversion to a 4x4 soob engine be possible??? Or better yet, tell me where to go to look up the parts needed, and where to research this conversion!QUOTE]

OK, so now I take the time to read the "Sticky" at the top of the Transplants forum...well, any other ideas you have are appreciated...thanks

Someone tell me, would the conversion to a 4x4 soob engine be possible??? Or better yet, tell me where to go to look up the parts needed, and where to research this conversion!QUOTE]

OK, so now I take the time to read the "Sticky" at the top of the Conversions forum....answered many of my questions....however, any thoughts, comments, innuendos, ideas are appreciated...

you will have to cut up the firewall for the sube transmission, but I think the engine bay is big (wide) enough. Do you want awd? cause the vw is fwd and has no provisions for a rear diff or driveshaft. If I were to do this I would use subaru xt6 front and rear suspension and graft it into the vw.

you will have to cut up the firewall for the sube transmission, but I think the engine bay is big (wide) enough. Do you want awd? cause the vw is fwd and has no provisions for a rear diff or driveshaft. If I were to do this I would use subaru xt6 front and rear suspension and graft it into the vw.

Thanks bushbasher~I would have liked the AWD...but if not feasable then do big deal....I'll look into the xt6...

So I have had my eye on this VW Scirocco that is just sitting by this guy's garage, round headlights, looks to be the '74-79? model....I looked in the interior and was surprised to see it in great shape-few cracks in dash, but seats, headliner, etc all in very good shape, with food glass....I haven't approached the guy yet or looked at the engine compartment...But I am curious....

Someone tell me, would the conversion to a 4x4 soob engine be possible??? Or better yet, tell me where to go to look up the parts needed, and where to research this conversion! Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated...

please don't butcher an MK1 rocco.. please please don't do it there hard enough to come by :(

please don't butcher an MK1 rocco.. please please don't do it there hard enough to come by :(

Oh, I had not originally considered "butchering" it at all...that is why I posted this to get info on adding a soob engine...I can not speak from experience, but I have heard it is cheaper to use subaru engines in VW than to try and get hold of a good VW engine....maybe not....

I will admit, the car is clean inside...no, I mean NO tears or rips in the seats....and I'll further admit I did have visions of it being a 4wd....thought that would be very cool...but I was afraid of the "butchering" as you call it...

Glad bushbasher told me about the firewall...I'll have to weigh out the pros & cons...it's tempting, but I am no where close to the saw-zaw...yet...it's an option...

Anyone else with ideas or insight???

I'll keep you posted...

Oh, I had not originally considered "butchering" it at all...that is why I posted this to get info on adding a soob engine...I can not speak from experience, but I have heard it is cheaper to use subaru engines in VW than to try and get hold of a good VW engine....maybe not....

I will admit, the car is clean inside...no, I mean NO tears or rips in the seats....and I'll further admit I did have visions of it being a 4wd....thought that would be very cool...but I was afraid of the "butchering" as you call it...

Glad bushbasher told me about the firewall...I'll have to weigh out the pros & cons...it's tempting, but I am no where close to the saw-zaw...yet...it's an option...

Anyone else with ideas or insight???

I'll keep you posted...

l kookin in all the wrong places.. please sell it to a vw enthusiast to keep original. use a rabbit or cabrio or something.. roccos are hard to come by in good shape

I understand...I just hated to see the VW go to total rust and did not know what else to do besides use a subaru engine....I am a little more familiar with them and have access to a few. I have left the guy a message this weekend, & I am hoping he will get back with me soon about the rocco. If I am able to snag it, I'll put it in a barn at least to keep it out of the weather & oil the underside like crazy to keep it from rusting more...

If I do not decide to tackle the VW engine, I'll at least offer to pass it on to a VW enthusiast

Mk1 Scirocco's are a very sweet little car. They handle exceptionally well, and you can drop most of the newer VW engines in with a little work. If it is truly in such good shape, and you can get it, put it somewhere it won't rust and save some money for a built old-style engine (GTI or 16V) or a newer 1.8t (a little heavier, but way more power). You could put a VW syncro system in it for AWD, but that's a fairly complex and potentially expensive job.

Mk1 Scirocco's are a very sweet little car. They handle exceptionally well, and you can drop most of the newer VW engines in with a little work. If it is truly in such good shape, and you can get it, put it somewhere it won't rust and save some money for a built old-style engine (GTI or 16V) or a newer 1.8t (a little heavier, but way more power). You could put a VW syncro system in it for AWD, but that's a fairly complex and potentially expensive job.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely keep this in mind

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got the guy on the phone who owns that rocco, his name is Gilbert...I had heard others had asked him about it in years past & he would not sell, but I had high hopes...

The guy was older gentleman, nice enough, but he never would come out & say anything definite. When I kept coming back to the question of him selling the rocco, he simply said "I might be selling that later, you can check back with me then...." This of course, was the same answer I got no matter how long I talked with him...and finally a "yeah, those vw's like that are kinda rare aren't they?"

Needless to say, I figured out within the first few minutes he was not going to sell but kept him talking anyway...even asked him about all the other cars I can see from the road on his farm...the hillsides are scattered with them. When asked if he sold those or parts from them, he said, "well, we usually only sell parts but I'm kinda tryin' to cut back for awhile..." What that meant I do not know exactly. Then when asked if he ever opened the gates & was around there for me to come and check out the cars his reply was, "naw, we're not out there too much..."

He did ask me what I was looking for specifically...besides the rocco...when I told him subarus, this was the reply, "Naw, I don't think there are any subarus out there, let me think.....well no, I guess I would have to go look..."

So, I just told the guy I would call him back at a later time.

Gilbert was nice enough, just an old guy who seemed relaxed with his life & in no hurry or need to sell any parts or cars....

Oh, well....

:-\

hahaha my girlfriend is in search of one of those cars! :D I told her to finish her honda M600 first, or the VW pop top BUS. Though she tells me the same thing about my DuneBuggy..... I don't really care if it's every road worthy though ;)

If you can snag that car go for it man, it's going to be worth something someday. I'd keep it bone stock in a barn or something like you said, just lay a tarp underneth it, and restore it when you can. It might even be worth more un restored, to someone that wants to restore it(aka my girlfriend) :o Watch out for using barns to store things, they tend to eat things alive if they have ever had livestock in them. So defeinately throw down the tarp under it! Something to do with the cow piss :horse: damn rust making cows.

hahaha my girlfriend is in search of one of those cars! :D I told her to finish her honda M600 first, or the VW pop top BUS. Though she tells me the same thing about my DuneBuggy..... I don't really care if it's every road worthy though ;)

If you can snag that car go for it man, it's going to be worth something someday. I'd keep it bone stock in a barn or something like you said, just lay a tarp underneth it, and restore it when you can. It might even be worth more un restored, to someone that wants to restore it(aka my girlfriend) :o Watch out for using barns to store things, they tend to eat things alive if they have ever had livestock in them. So defeinately throw down the tarp under it! Something to do with the cow piss :horse: damn rust making cows.

OK, the rust making cow piss thing got me, maybe it was the icon with the horse/cow? getting the crap beat out of it....

I am going to keep pestering this guy, he stated he "might sell it later", so I'll keep checking back with him....if I am lucky and snag it, I'll let you know!