Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift kit in!

snowstormer

got my lift kit in a 87 gl wagon with 5spd dual range.

looks great even with the stock rubber.

any hints on the shifter? a little tight going into 3rd and 5th.

waiting for kuhmos to come in from tirerack for my pugs. do the mudders from tirerack exist, or are they pulling my leg when they say they are available?

lifted soobs look cool.

how ya doin northguy?

i got the 3" byb/ozzified lift from pkdavis.

took me about 16 hours total to install.

it was a pain to do by yourself, as you have to crow bar things around a bit... but

IT IS WORTH IT!!

THE LIFT LOOKS COOL!

cant wait to get tires.

i wish i could post pictures, but have no camera or ability.

Keep me posted as to how the axles hold up to the increased demands of larger tires. I want to lift mine next summer, but will limit myself to 14" rims and street tires. My brat is too nice (currently) to thrash off road with. After a few Alaskan winters, I can convert it to a mud buggy.

There are a few thing you can do to fix the shifter problem.

1. you can cut off the shifter and then weld on a diagonal extension. Downsde is if it breaks :confused:

2. what I did is i just never put in the consol plate that goes over the two levers, well I tried but had the same problem you do

3. If ther is enough room you can just cut the front edge of the console plate.

Hope that helps. What color is yours?

thanks for the reply, subafly.

my console is grey.

now that i know it is just the console, i will take it off and monkey with it after work today.

i will try to trim it or leave it off.

what kind of tires are you running, subafly?

hey northguy, go for the lift, should come in handy when the big snows come this winter.

Originally posted by northguy

Keep me posted as to how the axles hold up to the increased demands of larger tires. I want to lift mine next summer, but will limit myself to 14" rims and street tires. My brat is too nice (currently) to thrash off road with. After a few Alaskan winters, I can convert it to a mud buggy.

Hvae you got picture's of your brumby? mine's a street brumby and shoudl never be taken off the road.. to clean....

clint.

Did you order the tires online, or did you call them? I called them a few months ago looking for the exact same tires. They told me there were 4 in their database, 3 were in reno, and one was on the west coast. And when i contacted Kumho for a listing of dealers, they told me they were phasing out the 14" tires.

Anyhow, sounds like the car is 1/2 way there.

-Brian

Tony's tires look alot meaner than those Caleb.

Goto Cooper Tires webpage, and search for a local dealer. I got Cooper Discoverer STT's in 205/75R14's for $77ea mounted. You'll have to call your local dealers by phone and search for the best price. most of the placed I called had 1 or 2 sets in the back of the shop, the shop i went with was glad to get rid of them cause they were collecting dust.

tires02.jpg

-Brian

Originally posted by hmmmnz

hey do you guys know a supplier.. or website for lift kits i want to get a 3" but ive had no luck finding one in new zealand.. so it looks like i might have to get one from the states..

Ummmm..... Me thinks you might want to check out the Back Yard Boys web site. They be in your neck of the woods. I believe it's ausubaru.com ................Tom

when we got it in the car the lifting did do a slight annoyance to the shifters.

driving home from Calebz was exciting that night.... i had $WD hi or low only and 1,3, and 5th gears to use. And the steering shaft was off about 30 degrees from center. hehehehe

so the arms were removed and placed in a huge vice.

WRAP then rubber /plastic parts of the arm in a towel fisrt!

then use a piece of "cheater bar" or huge wrench to slide over the threaded top of one of them and bend ever so slightly.

do the same to the other shifter arm.

Becareful, when we bent the 4WD arm "up" and then slightly straighter... it went to "up" and so with the 5 spd arm bent "back" to a good point the two arms will touch when shifting into second (if in 4WD hi or low).

soooo when you bend it go "semi-reinstall it" to see the throw of the arms to see if you bent it enough.

i can now have the plastic houseing back on and its fine....

still hunting for a black rubber underboot for my D/R 5spd though......mine is zombiefied and worn beyound fixable now.