Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

baja wind noise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 baja128

baja128

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • winchester

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:44 PM

Just got a 03 baja, and so far the only complaint is the wind noise coming from the drivers mirror area. kicks in around 40mph and never lets up. Anyone else have this problem, and a solution? Also have a 04 outback , and have no wind noise to speak of.

#2 LosDiosDeVerde86

LosDiosDeVerde86

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,346 posts
  • Columbus

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

my legacy at highway speeds. there's gotta be somewhere for wind to escape or else if you slam your door the windows will blow out.

#3 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

I also have an 03 Baja and an 04 Outback and don't have that problem with either one of them. I would check to see how well the window seals.

#4 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:04 PM

This has been a problem on all the frameless Subaru's I have ever owned. 1st confirm the problem, then replace the defective part.

Use a piece of tape (Duct tape works well) and put it on the outside of the drivers glass right by the upright rear side of the mirror mount. Where the window seals to that small triangular piece. Be sure the tape seals between the glass and mirror mount. Then take a test drive. Noise gone or lessened, Replace the window Gussett, as it's called. Subaru now stocks these. The rubber seal gets deformed and no longer seals well and makes noises at highway speeds as if you have a window cracked open just a little.

Had this problem on my 90 Legacy Wagon. After replacing the gusset for the 2nd time, I learned to close these doors by using the door itself, not pushing it closed by putting my hand on the glass.

#5 baja128

baja128

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • winchester

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

Thanks. I just tried pressing the gusset together( as everyone seems to call it)

It helped a lot, cause now I hear the wind coming from the back seat. Since it is still under warrany would I be advised to go ahead and tell subaru to replace them? I'm not sure if it is the rubber itself that might be part of the problem? The warranty runs out in 3 weeks.

#6 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

If under warrenty, by all means, have them do the repair.

#7 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:39 PM

i have that problem, it originated when i removed my drivers side rearview mirror (because i broke it off w/ a kayak...). When put it back on it started to howl, and i haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I'm guessing a little silicon caulking or something will seal up the holes...

#8 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,574 posts
  • Texas

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

Lower the window and squish the outer mirror area against the black triangle (tweeter area if so equipped) on the inside together. Now, train yourself to close the door by pushing on the metal and avoid pushing the glass. Repeat as necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users