Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Transmission problems

A looooong time ago, in an internet posting site, far far away....

There use to be a Subaru posting site several years ago. One posting (several acutally) about problems with 98-99 Forester Manual transmissions, "bucking" when cold. Several people had this problem that had posted.

I had (still have) the same issue. I've been gone the last several winters, so haven't kept up on any issues.

Anybody else have the same issue? Any fixes out there?

I did try the dealer route but the dealer "couldn't duplicate the problem". Of course.

Very few folks got new clutches on warranty I understand. If you really insisted.....

They only did it cold and boy could they chatter pretty good. When engaging my car would jerk like a drunk when cold. Warm they were fine and the dealer would never see anything considered warrantable.

There is a kit that came out about 2003 I think that fixes it with a new disk and clutch cover. I got the numbers from somebody on the board and had it fitted to mine on major service. I had to give the dealer the numbers I wanted and it is a fairly good fix. i still have a tiny bit of chatter when dead cold, but its not bad at all. i have over 30,000 miles on the fix now. The only thing I have against it was the dealer did not replace the pilot bearing so it had to come apart on my dime again. Since I knew to replace pilot bearings in a clutch job when I was 12 this POed me and I started serviceing the car myself.

The idea of these clutches was good in using recyling organic materials but my position currently is that organics are better in the veggie bin.

Very few folks got new clutches on warranty I understand. If you really insisted.....

They only did it cold and boy could they chatter pretty good. When engaging my car would jerk like a drunk when cold. Warm they were fine and the dealer would never see anything considered warrantable.

There is a kit that came out about 2003 I think that fixes it with a new disk and clutch cover. I got the numbers from somebody on the board and had it fitted to mine on major service. I had to give the dealer the numbers I wanted and it is a fairly good fix. i still have a tiny bit of chatter when dead cold, but its not bad at all. i have over 30,000 miles on the fix now. The only thing I have against it was the dealer did not replace the pilot bearing so it had to come apart on my dime again. Since I knew to replace pilot bearings in a clutch job when I was 12 this POed me and I started serviceing the car myself.

The idea of these clutches was good in using recyling organic materials but my position currently is that organics are better in the veggie bin.

Thanks again cookie. Looks like I'll be needing to replace it soon anyway. Even with the clutch in all the way (sometimes even needing to 'double' clutch), it will 'catch' in 1st and reverse. Maybe just tightening the cable will fix this for a shoort period of time?

im a clutch idiot because i like driving automatics, but i asked about adjusting the clutch cable to alleviate some other symptom on an older subaru and was told that is a bad fix as it will cause other problems. but if you're clutch is about to go maybe it doesn't really matter anyway.

Subaru replaced my clutch under warranty. It's much nicer. None of that judder, bucking, and shaking when cold.

The official Subaru Service Bulletin number is 03-51-02, dated 01/15/03 regarding cold clutch judder.

I have my records of talking with the dealer in 2000 about this issue. Of course, they couldn't duplicate it. I now have a 99 Forester with 113K and of course out of warrenty so they will not replace it even though I started this one year into my having the car. Go figure.....

How much should I expect this to take out of my pocket?