Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

changing tranny/LSD gear oil

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 avatar382

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

I know there's a thread on this somewhere, I just can't find it with search, and can't find the instructions in the FSM! Feel free to smack me upside the head...

Anyway, got some simple questions about changing gear/LSD oil. (Got some Redline NS gear oil for the tranny and non-NS gear oil for the diff)

Looking at the drain plug on the tranny, the largest wrench/socket I have is too small at 18mm. What is the size of the plug? Looks like 20mm, but I want to know for sure before I go out there and buy a socket just to learn it doesn't fit.

Also, the drain on the diff looks like a square recessed into the plug. What tool is needed to take that out? Seems like my socket wrench minus a socket on the end will fit in the hole, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Lastly, tranmission gear oil is poured in through where the dipstick is right? I bought this pump thingy, just want to make sure the oil goes in through the right hole :)

Oh, I have the RX FT4WD D/R 5spd and LSD.

Thanks!

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:45 PM

The diff drain and fill plugs are pretty much 1/2" socket sized. I think someone makes a special tool, but I just use the business end of a breaker bar. Heat, penetrant oil, and patience is also useful.

Suggestion: Make sure that you loosen the fill plug first. Goodyear Service did an oil change on my Datsun's R160, and removed the drain first... then spent 6 hours trying to remove the fill plug. (I couldn't budge my fill plug, which is why I let professionals have a whack at it.) Better to have old oil than no oil.

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,920 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

yes, IIRC, the drain plug on the tranny is a 20mm but I'm not quite for certain. I can run out and look later today if you'd like since mine is up on jacks right now.

#4 NuclearBacon

NuclearBacon

Subaru World Rally ADDICT

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • Chico / San Francisco

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

I can run out and look later today if you'd like since mine is up on jacks right now.

yes please :) this is EXACTLY what i'm going to do in the next week...

...with the same redline oil...

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,185 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

it's not a 20mm.
22mm i believe. (small chance of 19...but i think that's just the oil pan).

#6 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

19 is oil pan and 22 im almost positive is the tranny drain plug. as for the rear diff, buy a short 1/2'' extension for your 1/2'' socket wrench. if you dont have a 1/2'' socket wrench, buy a 3/8''-1/2'' socket adapter and your good to go. the drain and fill plug are the 1/2'' male end of the socket extension........that reminds me...i need to change rear diff oil soon.

~Josh~

#7 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:21 AM

trans drain plug is a 21mm on my new RX. I just went out there to verify. 7/8" will work in a pinch.(sometimes cars have aftermarket drain plugs of different sizes too)

rear end plug will work fine with a 1/2 rathet or breaker bar.

a trick to help with the rear end plug if it gives you a hard time.
install a breaker bar in plug socket kicked out to the right side of the car. then put a jack under it and pump. use the weight of the car and the jack bar to help break it loose. this is helpfull if you have bad shoulders like me of just like to do things the easy way.

fill with a skinny long funnel thru the dip stick. pour slowly or it may give you some trouble.

I just put the 75/90NS in the gl10 wagon this week. it works great.

#8 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,799 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

I think that you should put the NS oil in your transmission and the regular Redline oil in the diff. Do a search for redline oil in the old gen forum and I'm pretty sure thats what you'll come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users