Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I could probably hang on to my 200,000 mi 99 Forester for a good while longer, but the $1,000 cash back incentive has me thinking about a new car. I'm looking at plain Forester X's. I think I can get the car for around $21,000 plus tax and title. How does that price sound? Also, I see the 2006 Forester now a has a "temporary spare", have the back seat dimentions been increased over the 99 model? My 99 Forester is a good car, but rear seating for adults is very tight. Any other comments on the 2006 Forester would be appreciated.Thanks.

If I understand other posts on this subject, the default in the transmission seems to be 4WD. So, if the solenoid is bad, the wiring to it is open, or possibly the ECU output is bad - you're gonna be in 4WD regardless of where the fuse is!

I think.

Huh... wrong thread maybe?

On the 2006 forester, I don't know for this car, but I do know that many new cars actually do have room for a full sized spare, but just come with the donut because it's cheaper to sell you.

There isn't room for a full size space in my impreza :-\

i guess i could take the BFH to the hole in there... :grin: actually.. i think the issue i had when trying it was that the tire/wheel were too tall in the hole (i guess you could call it width... the 6.5" )

I have had both body styles. Had a 2002 L and a 2004 XS. And 2 tall kids. They called the rear seat of the 02 the 'midget mobile'. Somehow with the similiar exterior dimensions, The kids say the 04 has more rear seat room. So much for the back. There you will also get in the 06 the rear center arm rest.

Overall, I am much happier witht he 04. Not only has it been more reliable (had a lemon of an 02), but it seems to me more comfortable. The 04's had a full size spare, so if you want to purchase a steel wheel and tire, I know it will fit. You will also get the other small improvments Subaru has made to this vehicle since mine. Next Major remake is sked for 08.

Best of Luck.....and Merry Christmas.....Happy Hanukkah....Happy Kwanzaa......Happy Boxing Day......and which ever other Happy Holidays you and all who read this celebrate over the next few days................Oh yeah..HAPPY/HEALTHY New Year to ALL !!!

I just bought a 2006 Forester LL Bean. I also own a 1997 (in the shop for a blown head gasket) and 2004 Outback (bought it for my mom). The Forester is the most luxurious vehicle I have ever owned (cost ~ $25.5). I agree that the rear leg room is MINIMAL. Its actually very uncomfortable for any adult that is 6 feet or taller. The heated leather seats, HUGE moonroof and exterior styling is what attracted us to the Forester. We now have 350 miles on it and the strangest thing is that the ride has been extremely disappointing, so much so that we think there is a problem with the suspension. Every article we read indicated that the new suspension actually cushions crater like roads, yet we feel every bump, small or large. My 97 Outback has a much better feel to it! I called my service department and told them how unhappy I was with the ride and they told me to bring it in. The weirdest thing is that the Forester we test drove had the most amazing ride. You never know with new cars!!! Any one else ever buy a new car with a suspension issue?

p.s. another extremely weird thing is that this car appeals to women, yet they decided not to illuminate the vanity mirrors. My wife chose this vehicle over the Outback and she wants the illuminated vanity mirror. Are you reading this SoA?

??? the Forester you test drove, was it an LL BEAN? These have self leveling suspension in the rear. (all in the Shock/strut assy). They do ride more firm than the standard Forester.

Also Ditto on the mirror.....my wife liked the lit vanity mirrors on our 90 Legacy LS wagon. To bad the Forester doesn't offer this at any trim level.

No, we test drove the 2.5X. We assumed the Bean model would have the same ride or better. By firm, do you mean we are suppose to feel every single bump? When I get my 97 back from the shop, I am going to keep on driving it as it feels so much better.

My sales person told me that vanity mirror is the #1 complaint! I am sure they will fix this for 07.

??? the Forester you test drove, was it an LL BEAN? These have self leveling suspension in the rear. (all in the Shock/strut assy). They do ride more firm than the standard Forester.

Also Ditto on the mirror.....my wife liked the lit vanity mirrors on our 90 Legacy LS wagon. To bad the Forester doesn't offer this at any trim level.

Yes, the tire pressure on my new Forester was at least 6 psi higher than it should have been. There is a big difference now but it still doesnt feel as good as my 04 or 97 Outback Wagon. It feels more like a SUV ..... Thanks for your assistance!

Check the tire pressure. I've read of other folks taking delivery of soobs that had greatly over inflated tires. That can worsen the ride feel.

just a thought

Ride is a subjective thing anyway. In order of general models in Subies I like the ride of the Legacy, Ourback, and Forester in that order for cruising.

On my Forester I am running 15% stiffer struts and a WRX rear sway bar to get the feel I want, but this is a city and mud car that doen't see long distance trips much.

It seems a shame to have to adjust a brand new car to get what you want. The Forester is short so you are never going to have good legroom, that is the Legacy and Outback's job.

Any chance the dealership would help you on trading to a model you like?

Well, I went out today and bought a 2006 Forester. I don't want a full sized SUV, I need a lot of cargo space, I need a roof rack, and I need to be able to comfortably tow 2,000 lbs. Really not too many cars out there that fit the bill. The Matrix came close, although I think the published 1500 lbs towing capacity with a 1.8L engine is very optimistic. Also, with the $1,000 factory cash, there was less than a three thousand dollars difference between the two cars. Even then, the Matrix didn't have remote open, cruise control, or alarm.

My 1999, 200,000 mi Forester has proven to be a very tough and dependable car. The only thing I'll really miss by not buying the Matrix, is the 37 highway mpg. I think I will get over it.

I have ~ 82,000 miles on my 97 Outback. It rides just like my 04 Outback which has ~ 9,000 miles. Lowering the air pressure on my 06 Forester really helped smooth out all of the stuff we were feeling each time we hit a bump. The Outback has a much better feel to it but my Forester is the most luxurious car I have ever owned. I just feel bad for any adult passengers who have to sit in back.

How many miles are on your '97 Outback? Could it be that the struts are worn out and the car is riding softer then it should, but more to your liking?

Yes, I should have taken your advice. I was under the impression that the LL Bean was equivalent if not better than the 2.5 X model I test drove so I didnt demand that I test drive the LL Bean. I dont believe they even had one available. Any way, now that I have lowered the air pressure to the manufacturers suggested pressure, the ride is so much better. No matter what any one says, the Foresters handling is more SUV than car, especially if you compare it to an Outback Wagon. We traded in a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo (my wife's car which was absolutely a piece of junk) and that ride is comparable to the 06 Forester.

but you have to test drive exactly what you are going to buy, prefereably the same car.

Just for example BMW made about five Z series cars the year I bought mine. They varied from riding like a car to a buckboard.

I would have to agree with you that the Forester is small and tall. The stiffer shocks and the sway bar I added to mine help a lot in corners but it still doesn't corner like a Legacy.

When I drive my brother in law's Legacy in New Zealand I am always impressed with how nice it handles on the winding roads over there. You always have to buy a car for what you are going to use it for at this point in your life. The Forester is a good city car for parking and has been a champ for me in my off road use.

When I retire and move to New Zealand odds are I will be out of the city and have a big yard. At that point a Legacy size car may appeal to me a lot.