Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got my rotors in the mail and there is something unusual

good morning, this post is before i have to head out to work...

my rotors can in the mail a couple of days ago, (for my 1994 legacy l fwd with rotors on all four corners) and this morning i finally opened the boxes. i had ordered oem brembo replacements with some akebono pads from www.speedycarparts.com. well the problem is that when looking at the rear rotors, it seemed at first that one of them was "not so new looking". what i mean was the inside of the rotor, the part with the min depth engraved looked as if it has had contact with a hub on a car before.. reason being the slightest guitar pic shaped outlines. PIC------> inside.jpg

as well as the fact there was in "rounded portion" on that same rotor as above that was not on the "new" looking rotor. PIC for comparasion---->

rounded.jpg

and the not rounded one ----------->

no%20rounded.jpg

please any insight would be great before i may potentially complain about these apparent second hand parts. thanks in advance

-ali

the flystyle,

I agree with SubaruLegacy2003. Both appear to be new. One may well be from a different lot that were tooled on a different machine, in a slightly different manner, but to specifications. Brembo has a reputation to protect, so they won't be using less than the best. Regardless, they are an item that as new, are installed out of site and aren't worth complaining about, in my opinion. If they were chrome pieces on the hood of the car, I'd send them back. But they are pieces that in a year's time will be rusted and dirty, and will still be doing their job to keep you safe. Suit yourself, but I'd use them just as they are. Good luck!

Well, while I do agree that they don't look used, they certainly are identically machined.

IN FACT, why isn't that big flat surface machined??? I bought Brembos for the same car a few years ago there was no casting surface that hadn't been turned.

I vote: Complain!

Brembo is a top-of-the-line brand. While I don't have firsthand experience, detailing, surface protection from rust, and packaging should all be of very good quality. I would expect to see the rotor packaged in a bag inside the rotor box with a piece of corrosion inhibitor paper. Little or no rust.

My guess is that the rotors are an inexpensive set of knockoffs--basically counterfeit parts. Send a couple of pictures to Brembo before you return them to the seller. Brembo may be quite interested.

i am quite interested about the last comment on them being knock offs. i can post pics of the box, but they of course said brembo, but there was in fact no paper or anything of that sort in the box. i am going to take a look at the brembo website to see what the deal is, but is there anything to say what would give a truth to the rotors such as numbers etc etc

thanks for the tips

-ali

The rotors you have that are in the brembro box are not made by brembro. They are manufactured by another company and packaged by brembro. They've been doing this for quite a while. I was told that about the brembros I bought several years ago.

I wouldn't really worry about it.

What is so good about the brembros rotors? If you buy the top of line rotor from Auto Zone you can get it for about half the price of the brembros, they may be made by the same company that makes the brembros. The really cheap rotor that Auto Zone sells is not a good buy, I tried them one time and dont want them again.

josh,

i was thinking about cyro treating them but ive read other posts on the subject and found it wasent a 100 all in favor. i guess is the question is, is it worth it for daily driver is the question. there are no places in the area that do it so the post would be the obvious answer. but my biggest question would be do you feel that the braking has been benefited from this or just the ability to keep rotors straight the only upside, as well as pad tolerance in terms of does the cyro treated rotors treat the pads any differently.

-words from an novice

josh,

i was thinking about cyro treating them but ive read other posts on the subject and found it wasent a 100 all in favor. i guess is the question is, is it worth it for daily driver is the question. there are no places in the area that do it so the post would be the obvious answer. but my biggest question would be do you feel that the braking has been benefited from this or just the ability to keep rotors straight the only upside, as well as pad tolerance in terms of does the cyro treated rotors treat the pads any differently.

-words from an novice

I dunno about cryo-ing them, but here's a link with some (possibly controversial) info on pad/rotor failure modes and wear, etc.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

another question that i dont know if it needs its own topic but is on the same grounds...

the akebono pads i got (ceramic) did not come with a break in directions but instead were advetised as "no need to break in" on the website of the place of purchase. also when looking at the manufacturer website, there was no clear peice of truth to that...

so im standing on the choice of what to do??

-ali

Install the new pads, drive normally - avoid hard stops - for around 200 miles. By this time you should be able to tell from the rotor surface that the pads have seated evenly.

Then, take the car out on a lonely road and give the brakes a workout, 8-10 hard stops from 60mph-10mph and then cruise until they cool again. For goodness sake don't come to a halt while the brakes are hot!

Read the Stoptech info on this, very good break-in instructions!

Install the new pads, drive normally - avoid hard stops - for around 200 miles. By this time you should be able to tell from the rotor surface that the pads have seated evenly.

Then, take the car out on a lonely road and give the brakes a workout, 8-10 hard stops from 60mph-10mph and then cruise until they cool again. For goodness sake don't come to a halt while the brakes are hot!

Read the Stoptech info on this, very good break-in instructions!

I used my handbrake if I needed to come to a complete stop during the bedding in procedure. It pays to pick the spot for doing this carefully so you minimize the risk of NEEDING to stop - kinda tricky. Don't be surprised to see some smoke/vapor. I have no experience with ceramic pads - but likely they are bonded on the backing plate and that material might 'outgas' at high temps.

Let us know what you think about the pads later on OK?

that was the idea i got on the bedding procedure from stop tech...

as for the ceramic, i never used them before but instead was a semi-metallic rest of the time. i will post to see what i think about the pads with the brembos, but from what ive read on this forum people have really liked these brakes...

-ali

The cryo-treating process will improve rotor longevity. You won't really see any braking benefits. I still think it's very beneficial for street use, especially since the rotors on the first gen legacy are a little small. With better brake pads, you're going to raise the temps of the rotors, and you end up with vibration issues.

So do as you want.....

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE...

installed all the new parts (rotors,brake rebuild kit,pads, and speed bleeders) the ceramic seems to be a nice pad so far.. did the break in and the rotors seem to have taken to the bed process. as for only hic up, the speed bleeders seemed to have not set as easliy as i hoped, the tightness when i thought i was done was enough for some fluid to leak. as for the brake bleeding, i really can attest to the easiness of the speed bleeders. i tightened up the bleeders as tight as nessesary to prevent any leaks. (dust covers kept shooting off).

i didnt get a chance to install my stainless steel lines because they have yet to come in the mail. i was on a time constraint, i was only home during my winter break from college...

-ali