Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brushguard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:16 PM

Has anyone ever put something like a brushguard on the rear of their suby.

#2 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone ever put something like a brushguard on the rear of their suby.

probably, but you'd have to make it work with a tail gate, and hopefully when you go bushwacking your not going rump roast end first... people do make bumpers and tire carriers for the rear and tail light guards and gas tank skids and winches and lights and all sorts of stuff which I guess falls under that category, but if your considering a brushgaurd for the rear like some brushgaurds are made for the front, I dont think that is very practical. but more armor is ALWAYS a good thing.

#3 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

uhh, well how about just a strong sturdy bumper? with maybe some kind of skid plate on it? i dont know about you, but i drive frontwards not in reverse, so a front brush guard would suit me better than a rear one. although im getting a rear bumper first, thats not the point. if i were you, look into some nice bumpers.im getting mine from tony, TWB.. very good prices, cool guy to.

#4 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Well, I have been known to do 3 point turns on trails with less than propper respect for the shrubberys. So rear armor would be good for that. Mostly tailight protection.

#5 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

yeah... well depending on how much you offroad your soob and how rough you get with it... as long as it has a purpose armor is GOOD, and will pay for itself. tail light guards, a sturdy bumper and gas tank skid, if you ever plan to bash into any rocks, tubing/bars going across the tailgate that are detatchable might be a good idea along with bars/expanded steel plate around the windows... but if you ever get that far it might just be better to remove all the paneling and everything and make a custom body and frame/subframes like that guy w/ the subaru hummer, shiet might as well just make your own damn car and everything and just use a subaru engine and drivetrain(what I'm dreaming to do next summer...)

#6 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 22 December 2005 - 05:23 PM

I'd go for a rear skid plate before I'd worry about a rear brushguard?

Seems to me a skid plate would serve you better and it could be a platform for adapting a brushguard?

Just a thought?
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer--reinforced rear!
84 GL Mad Max--loose rear!
01 Forester--411 rear!

#7 Alex GL-10

Alex GL-10

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Catawba

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

probably, but you'd have to make it work with a tail gate, and hopefully when you go bushwacking your not going rump roast end first... people do make bumpers and tire carriers for the rear and tail light guards and gas tank skids and winches and lights and all sorts of stuff which I guess falls under that category, but if your considering a brushgaurd for the rear like some brushgaurds are made for the front, I dont think that is very practical. but more armor is ALWAYS a good thing.

I was thinking more of a heavy duty bumper. Something I could mount reverse lights on and mount a spare tire on. And maybe a trailer hitch.

#8 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 988 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:13 AM

oh yeah, well everyones done that... its not really considered a "brushguard" though, more like bumper and tire carrier

#9 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

i once thought of making a removable or fold down guard for the brat ,but then quickly realized that it would get in the way more than it would help.

#10 Island Roo

Island Roo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Quadra Island

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

i have an old double tube off a nissan for mine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users