Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this thing? Pics inside.

Hey guys,

Just replaced my belts yesterday with the help of some of you. I have another question.

Check out the pictures below. What is this part for? It has a 5A on it and is right by the coolant reservoir. It seems like it's a major electrical connection point.

The reason I ask is because I was inspecting the engine while idling and noticed there were sparks traveling between two screws there. I don't want to touch it before I know what it does. Anyone recognize this part?

Thanks!

post-5607-13602760528_thumb.jpg

post-5607-136027605289_thumb.jpg

post-5607-136027605294_thumb.jpg

That's your ignition coil. Feeds high voltage to the spark plugs. (actually, it converts 12v to over 20,000v, then feeds it to the distributor, which in turn feeds it to the spark plugs, but you get the idea.)

If you have spark jumping around there, you need to clean up all the rust and corrosion on it with a brass brush. You may even want to replace the cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires to be sure that all of the spark energy is getting where it's supposed to. (often spark jumping around like that is caused by worn out parts. If you replace them all at once, you don't have to worry about one good new part exaggerating the problems with the remaining bad parts and stranding you) Plus, you should have a better running, more fuel efficient engine at the end!

That's your ignition coil. Feeds high voltage to the spark plugs. (actually, it converts 12v to over 20,000v, then feeds it to the distributor, which in turn feeds it to the spark plugs, but you get the idea.)

Ah ok. Never thought it would look like that.

Any idea what I can do about the spark? It seems like the rubber housings came loose. I'll try pushing them back onto the screws to see if it eliminates the spark issue.

DO THIS WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED.

:)

If you have spark jumping around there, you need to clean up all the rust and corrosion on it with a brass brush. You may even want to replace the cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires to be sure that all of the spark energy is getting where it's supposed to. (often spark jumping around like that is caused by worn out parts. If you replace them all at once, you don't have to worry about one good new part exaggerating the problems with the remaining bad parts and stranding you) Plus, you should have a better running, more fuel efficient engine at the end!