Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Tranny Swap

I have a '80 Brat, (single range 4wd/EA71) that is stuck in first, and a '81 Brat, (dual range 4wd/EA81) tranny works great other than the bushings. Will the dual range fit into the other brat? I have looked at them and the starter it in a differant spot. I don't know if the bell housing bolts will match up. Thanks

no the tranny won't fit... its got a side mounted starter while the single range has a top mounted starter...

i've heard of people changing over the bellhousing on the engine... but is it really that worth it when you could just put in a whole ea81 engine and trans...?

is it really that worth it when you could just put in a whole ea81 engine and trans...?

I like the 1600 better, and I want to keep the prat semi original... Kinda a what factory SHOULD have done project. Arn't the bell housing bolts the same on the 1600 and 1800, and the starter possition on the flywheel just different? I would really like to swap these trannys.:o

early ea71 & ea81 bellhousings are different. The flywheel/clutch is smaller on the ea71's too. What you need to do is use an ea71 ""fat case".. which came in the 80's hatches and sedans. Some of those came with the starter thats off to the side and will bolt up to that later model transmission.

-Mike (happy holidays)