Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Structural crack in '03 Legacy GT Sedan heated windshield???

Has any one with the factory heated windshield has structural cracking issues??? My Mom's '03 GT sedan with the heated windshield wiper area has developed what looks to be a structural crack?

It is a hairline crack that starts UNDER the COWL cover at the bas of the windshield about 4" of the center of the windshield. It then passes through the heating matrix splits into TWO hair line cracks that then REJOIN after about 4" vertical, and then the crack makes a bend and travels horizontally for a FOOT!!

Mom has heard NO popping and had no objects hit the windshield or let the wipers slap down. There is no sign of an impact either??

I don't know whether there's any history of heated windshields being more likely to develop cracks. However, I've seen info claiming that about 3/4 of windshield cracks are edge cracks, and I have no reason to doubt it. It's pretty obvious that from a structural standpoint, the edges are more vulnerable. Even before the windshield gets mounted, it can be struck on an edge and a small defect introduced; that can later "grow" from stresses due to heat/cold, vibration, etc. When mounted, if not set in rubber or other resiliant material, any metal contact can lead to chipping and eventual cracking. Since we obviously can't see the extreme edge area of an already-installed windshield under normal circumstances, cracks can seem to come from no apparent cause.

i have had a windsheild crack for absolutly no reason or cause, with the car just sitting in the driveway parked. Sometimes a fast temeriture change will do it if there is a slight imperfection in the glass, sometimes windsheilds just crack for no reason. Mine was along the drivers side pillar edge.

nipper

OK, now that it has to be replaced WHERE should I take it in the Brewster, NY Danbury, CT area? Last time I had TWO diff. guys come from a large chain to replace the glass in my '98 Legacy L wagon. Both times they, damaged interior trim pieced, mainly the A-pillar covers!! THEY ALSO CUT INTO THE HEAD LINER WHERE IT CAME NEAR THE GLASS, AND PUT WAYYYY TO MUCH SEALANT DOWN, IT SHOWED AS GLOBS INSIDE THE CABIN!! THE SECOND GUY WHO CAME TO REPAIR THE MISTAKES OF THE FIRST GUY BUTCHERED THE JOB EVEN WORSE!!

OK, now that it has to be replaced WHERE should I take it in the Brewster, NY Danbury, CT area? Last time I had TWO diff. guys come from a large chain to replace the glass in my '98 Legacy L wagon. Both times they, DAMAGED INTIOR TRIP PEICES ON THE A-PILLOR!! THEY ALSO CUT INTO TEH HEAD LINER WHERE IT CAME NEAR THE GLASS, AND PUT WAYYYY TO MUCH SEALANT DOWN AND IT SHOWED A GLABS INSIDE THE CABIN!! THE SECOND GUY WHO CAME TO REPAIR THE MISTAKES OF THE FIRST GUY BUTCHER IT MORE!!

No one can recommend an auto glass chain that they have had luck with?

If it will make you feel any better, i rented a brand new '05 prius last year, and was driving it through the mountains of big sur. There was a large temperature change (maybe 30 degrees in an hour), and the windshield cracked right up the middle while i got out to get it gas. The car had maybe 1,000 miles on it.

So i guess it's not just a subaru thing.

I used Whaley Glass in New (or West) Haven. Covered under insurance, they originally did the work at Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford. When after 2 years it developed a wind noise like playing a reed instrument, I took it up to the glass shop where they resealed and all is well.

They said they usually want to let the car sit for 5 or so hours after replacement to give the sealant time to mature as the air bags rely on deploying in a manner that is defelected off the glass?? and therefore need the assurance that the glass will stay in place. Don't flame me if incorrect, it's just what I was told.

I used Whaley Glass in New (or West) Haven. Covered under insurance, they originally did the work at Dan Perkins Subaru in Milford. When after 2 years it developed a wind noise like playing a reed instrument, I took it up to the glass shop where they resealed and all is well.

They said they usually want to let the car sit for 5 or so hours after replacement to give the sealant time to mature as the air bags rely on deploying in a manner that is defelected off the glass?? and therefore need the assurance that the glass will stay in place. Don't flame me if incorrect, it's just what I was told.

You are VERY correct it does need time to set-up time befre you drive. They should not even LET you drive it away in under 5 hours, it is a liability thing!

Just TOOK the car to Danbury Glass on North St. in Danbury, CT so they could replace the windshield in my Mom's '03 GT sedan. GREAT job, with aftermarket glass that I like BETTER than the stock unit!

Carl is a great guy and has been doing glass for a long time, local Audi dealer uses him only.