Ultimate Subaru Message Board

camber and toe

well, i got some new tires a little while back and had an alignment done as well. Front was fine, however the tire shop says the rear is "way out of whack".

Readings:

rear right: camber -.3 toe -.21

rear left: camber -1.0 toe -.32

they stated that they could fix it, but what they needed to adjust the rear was rusted up and would be a minimum 2 hrs labor to get it fixed. i asked to see what they were talking about, but they said the car was already off the rack and parked out front. i told them id look into it myself and took my keys and left. so, the left side does seem a bit off, but are they off enough to be an issue? previous owner had a hitch on it so im wondering if the bushings are a bit shot. at any rate, i wasnt about to let the guy at the tire shop go banging around on anything.

yes you left side is out of wack but your right side is within spec. i'm asuming this is for your loyale?

the rear alignment spec for the rear of your loyale is 0 degrees camber with a variance of +/- 0.5 degrees and your toe is 0 degrees +/- 0.2 degrees.

now your toe is negative which should be positive for better tire wear and your camber should be at 0 or not much nagative or you will get inside tire wear.

now, unfortunately the toe can't really be corrected but the camber can be a company called specialty products company have cams that can be installed on your rear control arms to adjust the camber. there are some bolts ( three of them ) on the swing arm that can be loosened for adjustment to but these are tricky and hard to work with.

i know for a fact that les schwab can get the cams and are able to install them if you want to go that route.

to answer your question that left side can possibly become an issue as far as tire wear but it wouldn't show up right away. if don't correct it i would at least rotate your tires every 5,000 miles to keep your tires wearing evenly as much as possible.

well, i got some new tires a little while back and had an alignment done as well. Front was fine, however the tire shop says the rear is "way out of whack".

Readings:

rear right: camber -.3 toe -.21

rear left: camber -1.0 toe -.32

they stated that they could fix it, but what they needed to adjust the rear was rusted up and would be a minimum 2 hrs labor to get it fixed. i asked to see what they were talking about, but they said the car was already off the rack and parked out front. i told them id look into it myself and took my keys and left. so, the left side does seem a bit off, but are they off enough to be an issue? previous owner had a hitch on it so im wondering if the bushings are a bit shot. at any rate, i wasnt about to let the guy at the tire shop go banging around on anything.