Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone want to help me lift my soob this week?

ok so, heres my deal. I'm gonna get a bunch of free metal and most of what I need to make a lift for my subaru, I think I can get most of it myself, but there are a couple of skills I dont have yet and a couple of tools I dont have, and my only work place is out in the rain in my driveway, if it was below freezing I'm ok with that but i cannot STAND working in the rain laying on my back in a big puddle of water all day.

anyways, my plan is to go 6 inches, all body lift, although if I can get some suspension lift in the back and then drop the differantial down I might do that if I can do it cheap.

so anyone out there that has a good place to work and has access to some vital tools(such as chop saw/band saw, drill press, somethin other than a stick welder), and a bit more knowledge and/or have done this before, please contact me. by the way, since I'm a student I dont have much in the way of money(which is why I have a soob), I can get materials and consumables as needed; but you'll be helping me for enjoyment and pride and just cause lifting a soob is damn cool, rather than trying to make a pretty penny.

thanks!

lol no help yet.. I think I'll be able to handle it myself, yeah that gorge wind sucks, we have a place a few miles out of white salmon up there, makes me thankful I have a concrete pad to work on(even if it doesnt drain very well, puddles get about 3/4" deep in places); cause up there nothing but chunky gravel and mud. stumpy when are you planning to get started? (if not already..) cause I might be heading up the gorge sometime soon and if you still want some help I'd be happy to help you lift it, also since I'm gonna make my own it will help me to see how things work.

I also got a multi-fuel forced air heater for christmas(115,000 BTU), been using it the last couple days, even when its raining it keeps things warm and dry outside around where ever I got that thing pointed.. its like a jet engine :grin:

Think I will pull the engine first day it isn't raining as I'm replaceing it. Should make the lift install easier to deal with. I'm in the west end of the gorge about a mile south of Rooster Rock tucked back in a hole but the winds can still be a pain to deal with at times.

Your welcome to check out the lift and get some ideas for your project. It's only a 4" lift and not sure if they build the 6" lift the same way or not.

Have a chop saw but thats about it in that department.

And yes those heaters can be handy at times. Stumpy

picked up my uncles welder tonight, getting my metal tomorrow(i hope..), and refilling my argon bottle. probably gonna start tomorrow night, hope to have the lift DONE by the next night. will be finish for sure if anyone experianced comes along to keep me from screwing everything all to hell... I am still in need of a drill press and I'm not quite sure how I should drill out the holes in the 2x6 tubing, should I just find a drill bit thats 7-8 inches long or hope I can get them both lined up right doing both holes seperately?

Finished putting in my lilft today so I am now offically experienced!! Still have to do the steering shaft and brake lines but wanted to see how it would look with the lift on. As I still have to pull the trans and prepare to drop the other set up in I have plenty of time to deal with the minor details.

Let me know when you are doing yours and if you still need use of the chop-saw. Making the rear shock brackets look to be the most challenging. I would take grossgary's advice and check with others who have done the lift with out a kit. Stumpy

Finished putting in my lilft today so I am now offically experienced!! Still have to do the steering shaft and brake lines but wanted to see how it would look with the lift on. As I still have to pull the trans and prepare to drop the other set up in I have plenty of time to deal with the minor details.

Let me know when you are doing yours and if you still need use of the chop-saw. Making the rear shock brackets look to be the most challenging. I would take grossgary's advice and check with others who have done the lift with out a kit. Stumpy

for the rear shocks I'm just gonna find longer shocks and modify the shock mounts on the car. I remember comming across some type of shock tho that worked just right but I forget what car it was. I dont need a chop saw anymore, but I am still n need of a drill press that can drill the holes in the 6x2 .188 tubing. I think the hardest part is actually making the strut top extensions in the front.

Longer shocks does eliminate that obsticle. The strut extensions are of heavier metal than the rest of the kit and a chop saw won't be much help in cutting those pieces. A torch or jigsaw(Will take a lot longer) will work better and a grinder to make it look purdy! :)