Ultimate Subaru Message Board

7/8 scale Neuport fighter, with EA81 goodness

subarubrat

I would love to fly that little bipe.

Here, however is my next airplane project (after I finish and sell my current experimental) The standard engine is a Rotax 912, but at $10K and barely 100 HP, I think an EA81T will do just fine thanks, and the Rotax has only a 1,000 hour TBO.

http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/SeaRey/BuildingSeaRey.html

Pretty!

After the Lambo is finished I have pretty much decided to delve into a kit plane. With the kajillion choices out there I think it has come down to the Pappa51, a scaled down P51. I would love to own an original but lets face it, the cost of the plane is just scratching the surface, miantenance is the killer. A gear strut rebuild costs about as much as a mortgage payment. If you just want to own a warbird Texans are a dime a dozen but pretty sleepy. I would rather have a Poppa51 that than a Texan.

subarubrat...

one of the family friends here just finished there plane. its turned out awsome. and is one of 2 ever built.. i would like to build a scalied down modle bassed on an RV4 with a 300hp turbin anyway here are some observed performances and specs on the friends plane...

Lance air IVP

800hp Garrett turbine

5 Blade comp prop.

climb with 2 people abord and 65% power and 200kts was 4200fpm,

35%power in leval flight was yealding almost 350kts..

anyway ill try and post some pix when i get some. i know your into way out projects and thought you might apricate this one....

chears...

thats what they were saying. im wondering if with the right prop it could climb vertical....

the only bad thing with them is this. you have to fly them way ahead of themsevles. i was talking to mark the pilot and he said you can lose or gain 100mph so fast that if your not paying attention on aproch it would be easy to stall. also if you do stall you screwed. i guess there have only been a few people (besides the test pilots ) how have recoverd from a deep stall in them. one guy took 13k feet to get it back.......

i still like the idea of the rv4 though.

I have seen that poppa51 that you speak of and have heard it is a very good kit.Although I am sure I will be able to build one some day..... I am building something I can afford right now.I am building an Ace Grasshopper.Good little rc parkflier.Extremely durable beat around plane.I am converting from 1/2a to brushless electric.

If you end up building the poppa51 I would love to see it.

There are a few good engine options with the Poppa51, the Jag supercharged Jag V12 is able to haul it around nicely.

I love that Grasshopper! I flew mine with a full sized 2ch system and a Cox Texaco (about 1996) and it was a bullet proof plane. Take the time to glass the wing to do the plane justice. It has great flying manners and the landing gear is really an optional thing. I am all about the electric, virtually everything I fly nowdays is either electric or gasoline gas (giant scale). I still fly a few 1/2A planes in glow.