Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody got pics inside the P/T 4wd trans?

A layout of the parts would be great, gears, shafts, syncros, shifting fork and such.

And just to fill in the blank, I'm thing about adding a P/T transfer case behind a F/T box so you would have three options...

Fulltime - open diff

Fulltime - locked diff

2WD (diff locked)

Maybe even work in the EJ VLSD center diff so the fulltime options would be VLSD/locked.

Gary

YOur going to find that what you want to do is next to impossible without the manufacture of special pieces. The two transfere assemblies are completely different. The input to the transfere on the P/t comes into the transfere from the top, and is fed to the rear from a straight through syncro assembly. The P/t tranny is fed into the transfere from the bottom, and feeds the center diff, where it is sent to the rear. I don't have all the components in the pictures cause most of it is lost in a box and don't want to dig through it to find everything. But the pics will give you a good idea of what is going on.

The pictures are pretty big, so I won't post them, but here is a link to them, the good thing about the size, is that there is a lot of detail in them. The F/t is on the top.

Here's the pic:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=794

Great pics, thanks for takin the time. If I go deeper into this idea it would most likely be part of my hopeful AWD mid-engined VW Beatle project, so a custom transfer case and parts is a given. The only way I'm gonna really figure out what might be done is to tear down a couple of trannies and start measuring out some stuff.

Gary