Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a little advice for a subi newbi

I own a 97' legacy GT with over 100 k on it. I love the car (except my heat sheild rattels, but I already got some good advice from another thread). I am looking for some simpel mods to increase performance in the mountains (I live in Denver). I'm not to tech. orientated. I have considerd some of the fancyer intakes but have also heard that the oil on the filter can get in your motor. Anyone have suggestions on this or other mods, possably even a turbo/super charger.

New to working on cars in general? Start easy :)

Just start doing general maitainace yourelf. You will learn alot about your specific car. Once you start learning precisly how these complex systems all work together you can start seeing room for improvment in areas.

Its amazing what you learn just doing oil changes, spark plugs, plug wires, alternators, radiator, thermostat, water pump, timing belts, rotoating tires, etc etc. By doing these relativly easy maitanace projects you are touching and familiarzing yourself with veriouse systems of yoru car such as cooling, iginition, suspension, etc etc.

Perhaps I assume to much from your post, maybe you are already familiar with all of this and if so please take no offense.

Thank you.