Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hay look the 1975 DL 1400 is back on ebay

Hello all. I bought my first Subaru in late 1971, it was a 1972 and my friend had taken a master dealership for New England. I just came across the '75 on eBay and have communicated with the seller. Sounds like it needs a new engine. It has overheated and to stop overheating, had to add an overflow bottle. My experience with the '72 was when that happend the heads were shot. My question is as follows: I've searched the net and called locally and in Canada it appears either the distributor only goes back to 1980 or they started importing them in that year here. How difficult would it be to locate either a new or rebuilt engine? If push came to shove, can a 1600 or 1800cc engine fit without cutting or major mod. I'd prefer to keep it original.

Thanks and nice to see interest in these early Subs. Mine was the most reliable car I ever owned.

well with out an over flow bottle the car would have been pushing coolant out everytime you drove it till it was half full.(ive had a gen 1 car exact same thing ea71), anyway i guess it could have headgaskets and if the heads are craked.... well new heads then... ive got 2 cars with 1400s in the and 2 extra 1400 motors but everything is sold to the east coasters so i guess that only helps them........

Brian, the combination of the 1400cc engine (which is notorious for blowing head gaskets) and the 3-speed automatic--a very troublesome unit for Subaru and in its first year no less--is cause for some concern. Of course it would be great if you kept the car original--but a 1600cc engine and 4- or 5-speed swap would serve you much better from both a reliability and driveability standpoint. 1975 had improved hg's and a two-port exhaust as opposed to the four-port on earlier models. But it was close to the end of development for that engine.

SoNE's computer (and most of the local dealership's records) only go back to 1981. The oldest car they have in their records (other than ones I've brought in) is a 1986 GL-10 sedan that hasn't been serviced in over a year.

Thanks all for the info. I'm not finding anything prior to 1980 which to me is strange since as a Volvo user I can go to the dealer all the way back to the Ford looking B18. I guess I'll take a pass and own up that my childhood is over. Have a Happy New Year one and all.

It sold for $124 less than I paid for my '72 brand new with all available options (none).

Wow, doubled in price in 12 hours... looks like there was a bidding war.

I just saw it ended at like $1300 and change,a little less than double but still a good price for the buyer.If I were the seller I'd be slightly disappointed.My '76 with 37k sold for $2000 a couple of years ago.That car now sits totally restored in a dealership in Sweden.

I recognize the buyer's name.He's one of us,at least has been through here,I'm almost sure of it.