Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tire recommendations 99 Forester?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mtbe

mtbe

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cols, Oh

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:26 AM

Any recommendations for new tires on a 99 Forester? Mainly highway driving. Looking for all season. Currently have Michelin X-one. Better than the Geolanders!

#2 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

Any recommendations for new tires on a 99 Forester? Mainly highway driving. Looking for all season. Currently have Michelin X-one. Better than the Geolanders!

I like the Yokohama Avid Touring on my 96 OBW, fairly quiet, good handling and tread life. Only average in snow though. Much more affordable than the Michelin's. Have you visited Tirerack.com for reseach?

#3 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:43 PM

The X-One was a good tire for me.

I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge, which has good grip and phenomenal wear. Still going strong at over 45,000 miles.

Another popular all-season for Subarus is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred - rated #1 by CR if you don't face a lot of ice. Goodyear has a $40 rebate going at the moment. I see a lot of them as replacements on Outbacks.

Another top-rated tire by CR (whose methodolgy is questionable) is the plain ole Michelin X, available at Costco, Sam's Club etc.

The X radial and HydroEdge were rated tops for all weather conditions. The Goodyear; Hankook Mileage Plus II H725; and Yokohama Avid TRZ were top rated "If icy roads aren't a factor."

#4 Lawsonmh15

Lawsonmh15

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Denver

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

I like the Yokohama Avid Touring on my 96 OBW, fairly quiet, good handling and tread life. Only average in snow though. Much more affordable than the Michelin's. Have you visited Tirerack.com for reseach?

Yoko's are good... If you don't encounter weather, or off-road conditions. Other than that...:rolleyes:

#5 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Yoko's are good... If you don't encounter weather, or off-road conditions. Other than that...:rolleyes:

Actually I think they do quite well in the rain. And I've spend I lot of time on the back roads of northern Minnesota as well as logging roads (really rough) in Canada during fishing trips (also towing a Lund fishing boat) and the Yokohama's performed fine. But there are better tires out there I agree. I was primarily marking their good performance/value ratio - I believe I paid just a tad over $200 for 4 tires + shipping from Tirerack. That was a couple of years ago. Still, not bad for tire with 80K wear rating (I'll be happy to get 60K).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users