Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire recommendations 99 Forester?

Any recommendations for new tires on a 99 Forester? Mainly highway driving. Looking for all season. Currently have Michelin X-one. Better than the Geolanders!

I like the Yokohama Avid Touring on my 96 OBW, fairly quiet, good handling and tread life. Only average in snow though. Much more affordable than the Michelin's. Have you visited Tirerack.com for reseach?

The X-One was a good tire for me.

I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge, which has good grip and phenomenal wear. Still going strong at over 45,000 miles.

Another popular all-season for Subarus is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred - rated #1 by CR if you don't face a lot of ice. Goodyear has a $40 rebate going at the moment. I see a lot of them as replacements on Outbacks.

Another top-rated tire by CR (whose methodolgy is questionable) is the plain ole Michelin X, available at Costco, Sam's Club etc.

The X radial and HydroEdge were rated tops for all weather conditions. The Goodyear; Hankook Mileage Plus II H725; and Yokohama Avid TRZ were top rated "If icy roads aren't a factor."

I like the Yokohama Avid Touring on my 96 OBW, fairly quiet, good handling and tread life. Only average in snow though. Much more affordable than the Michelin's. Have you visited Tirerack.com for reseach?

Yoko's are good... If you don't encounter weather, or off-road conditions. Other than that...:rolleyes:

Yoko's are good... If you don't encounter weather, or off-road conditions. Other than that...:rolleyes:

Actually I think they do quite well in the rain. And I've spend I lot of time on the back roads of northern Minnesota as well as logging roads (really rough) in Canada during fishing trips (also towing a Lund fishing boat) and the Yokohama's performed fine. But there are better tires out there I agree. I was primarily marking their good performance/value ratio - I believe I paid just a tad over $200 for 4 tires + shipping from Tirerack. That was a couple of years ago. Still, not bad for tire with 80K wear rating (I'll be happy to get 60K).