Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best and cheapest place for full size spare?!

Just like it asks....for a full size spare. Where, how what.....for my upcoming road trip. Normal spare is fine but would rather be prepared.

Where did you guys find yours? How much? Thx

Where to get it? -- you can buy pretty cheap ($25 or so) steel rims for snow tires, and put a cheapo tire on it. I think you can buy them individually, not always in a set of four. Or see how much a junkyard wants for a subaru wheel. EA82 wheels are cheap, but I don't know how available used wheels from newer ones are.

Where to put it? Under the hood of course. Unless you don't have one of the cool subaru's.... :eek: I assume since this is the next gen forum, you don't. Does the place for the small spare fit a larger one? On some cars it actually does, but they just don't give you one. On the outbacks, I can't remember if it's big enough or not. I've also see people mount it to the top of the hood like the old jeeps, to the front bumper, or stick on the roof rack. If your normal spare spot is large enough, that's probably the best though.

You don't mention what car you have, but FWIW a 1st gen Outback (96-99) will have room for a full size spare but you have to ditch the plastic tool tray that sits under the cargo area.

I got a cheap steel wheel from the tire store and used the best tire from my old set for my full size spare.

Steve

I picked up a wheel and tire for my 91 Legacy for not too much, 25-10 bucks I think. They had just hauled in a similar car, had not even gotten off the wrecker when i got there. I bouhgt 2 extra tires off it for another 30 bucks or so, were in good ahpe. Interior was trashed though.

I did have to remove the plastice tool tray (any body need it?) and made a plywood cover to give the trunk a solid "floor'.