Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester clutch pedal sticking

My 2000 Forester clutch pedal keeps sticking half way up in hot weather. The clutch engages but cruise control won't work in the stuck position. I have to put my foot under the pedal and lift it; it pops up.

My mechanic has tried twice to fix it withour success.

I know the subaru clutch is notorious and there are a million postings about them here but haven't found this problem here yet. Any suggestions?

My 2000 Forester clutch pedal keeps sticking half way up in hot weather. The clutch engages but cruise control won't work in the stuck position. I have to put my foot under the pedal and lift it; it pops up.

My mechanic has tried twice to fix it withour success.

I know the subaru clutch is notorious and there are a million postings about them here but haven't found this problem here yet. Any suggestions?

Replace the clutch slave and the clutch hose. This is a common problem. I would also suggest the replacement of the clutch master cylinder while you have it apart. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

98 Legacy GT....I had to replace my clutch MC and Slave at 89k, then again at 110k and now it's sticking down again at 128k!!!.......I had a new clutch to replace the origional clutch, installed at 110k also. This somehow doesn't seem right, 20k from a clutch slave cyclinder? I don't abuse my car, and I got almost 110k from my orig clutch plates, so I have to believe there is something inherently wrong/designed with the Subaru clutch Master cylinder/slave cylinder arrangement.....

what a pain in the neck!