Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i might be joining the stage 1 4wd family soon :-)

hi

well, thanks to uncoolperson for taking the pics, i am in the process of buying this stage 1 4wd wagon. looks to be in decent shape, here are the pics....

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

it is putting me in debt to buy it, but i will have to sell off some things. what are the differences from stage 1 to stage 2? i know there is a couple of you guys on here with one (bajasubarunut, 75skunkaru, and a few others)

Jon

Stage 1's were 1300 or 1400cc, shorter front ends, slightly different doors and front fenders. Fenders are not interchangeable. Doors are but will look slightly off. Stage IIs have 1600cc engines (I guess you could argue 1800cc for the last couple years of the Gen 1 Brat), the different body work, red and amber taillights as opposed to the primarily solid-red of the Gen 1's (though some later ones did ship with red and amber, I think). Also, Gen II's lost the nifty "town & country horn" setup that the '75s and early production '76 4WDs shipped with.

gotta luv the candy striper st. wheel cover

appears the optional "doggie in the rear" air bag has been deployed?

Go for it Jon, body does look cherry, price looks well ....

too bad it's not a clam back,

but then you would

have to do battle with Andrew

He would have started a bidding war, perhaps, but that's about all :)

I have never had a Gen One 4WD. The only ones I've driven are Paul's '78 wagon, and a '78 Brat that went to a very worthy caretaker in the center of Pennsylvania. I'll stick with my FWD 1400s for now :cool:

He would have started a bidding war, perhaps, but that's about all :)

nope, $500 is all i can afford.

the deal is going through as long as the report from Andy (uncoolperson) is A-OK, i spoke with the owner, and already have all the arrangments set, just have to send the paypal after i hear more about its condition rust wise.

i really prefer the 4wds, they have a different feel, less guts, but i like the feel of having 4wd at the flip of a lever.

Jon, can't blame ya

after posting I saw the rust on the front fenders

this gives evidence of rust in many other places on these cars

I think you did good to pass as this one is not up to your standards

Good luck in your future searches

Heavens.....that little spot of rust on the right front fender?????

These cars "typically" have rust on the fender tops. It does not point to rust elsewhere!

Subaru replaced 1000s of fenders on these and stage 2 cars pre-maturely. There were no inner fender liners and the sealant they used between the fender and the wheel apron, was a foam type substance that absorbed and retained water. I have seen VERY bad rust in fender tops and not seen any significant rust elsewhere. I have removed tons of these fenders, both recently and when we had our dealership in the 70s/80s.

I'm sure that at this age the car has some rust elsewhere, but the 2 pics in this thread look pretty clean. Are there other pictures?? I would think that this car is in REALLY good shape if the fender rust is it.

If thats all in the fender, don't let that scare you off! Heck, we saw far worst than that by 1982 on a 79 car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd knows far more than I do about these cars

based solely on my exposure to these cars from this area at that age....

when the rust eats through the top of the front fenders

other "hot" spots can't be far behind

e.g.

rockers

under floor engine cradle horns

splash pans

gas filler protectors

X-cetera (these are very hard to find ;^) )

just to name a few

Lets see some pictures of these areas

I'd disagree on this one.

The foam strip Subaru used between the fender and the unibody acted like a sponge,held water,and rusted the tops of every fender from Tuscon to Tewksbury and back.That was how we scored 6 year old Subarus for under $800 from the late 70's through the late 80's.

The rest of the body might not be bad at all,you need to look.But judging only from the tops of the fenders would be a mistake.

I have not seen pictures of the underside of this car,but I'd suspect it's totally worth saving.

oh, there is no doubt its worth saving, but i`m not paying $1000 to ship a car with rust! for someone local with $500, what the heck, it`d be worth it.

i have more pics that Andy took (thanks again for saving me alot of $$) the top of that fender is completly caved in with rust, and i bet there is more on the structure underneath. the hatch has quite a bit of serious rust, the bottoms of the fenders have rust, the doors have some rust light on the top, but bubbling up on the bottom. my bet is it has more underneath.

i took a risk on that hatchback i bought, but now i`m loosing money on it because it really looks BAD underneath, now i`m sold on just cars with little to no rust.

if i could get it for like $700 delivered to my door, it`d still be a done deal.

I agree with Todd and Paul on this. My '75 wagon has only 60K and NO rust ANYWHERE on the body except the front fenders. Both fenders have been replaced and the foam spray-on has been removed. The original fenders had holes on top large enough for me to put my hand through, yet there is no rust anywhere else on the car.

Jon, you can pick up my wagon for nothin if you'd like, just have to see her go. You got the PM from Mary about those parts from another board member which would be perfect for it. Let me know, I can PM you with my number if I haven't done so already. I can also get pics of the underneath if you'd like to show how much (or little) rust there is. If you're willing to ship, i can get her ready for loadup with all the parts and more I have for her, just not the time to fix her. Let me know...

yes it does come with front axles. IIRC, there's a couple EA71 axles and I think a set of EA81 axles as well which will fit into it. I do believe I also have another hood as well but I will have to look. I have front seats as well, one is sitting in the garage and the other in sitting in the car. I also have a full gen 1 front end in parts too, knuckles, brakes, control arms, and a few misc parts to go with it. Just gotta get rid fo it all.... The spare set of doors I had for it are already gone, along with the two EA71's I had but I will make sure any other spare parts I have, I'll throw in with it. Oh and I got a couple rebuildable points distys too since, I don't do points no more;)