Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone used Steel Seal for head gasket leak?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 rwburke67

rwburke67

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Edison

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone used a product called "Steel Seal" to deal with a head gasket leak problem? (www.steelseal.com)

I am fairly certain that the 2.5l engine in my '97 Legacy GT has developed a head gasket leak. A quick survey of trusted mechanics has brought me to the conclusion that replacing the head gaskets alone will cost me about $2,000.00. I don't want to even ask what a Subaru dealership would charge to replace the head gaskets.

I estimate that my '97 Legacy, without a head gasket problem, could sell for around $4,500 to $5,000. Given that this Legacy is nine years old and has just past the 93,000 mile mark, I'm not crazy about spending $2,000+ on it.

Am I asking for more trouble by using a product like Steel Seal? :banghead:

Any sound opinions and/or advice would be welcome? :)

#2 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

You can try anything. But my own experiences, being a neighborhood mechanic, is nothing fixes a gasket leak to the combustion chamber, be it to an oil passage or water jacket. Replacement is the only fix.

I have seen people throw all kinds of junk into their Mopars, Fords, GM's, Subaru's and other engines, but none fixed an internal head gasket leak.
I would also shop around for another price. If 2K were the price for gasket replacement, I would contact CCR and get a price for a replacement engine. At least there you have a 3/36K warrenty on the entire engine from a reputable company.
End of My $.02.

#3 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

to fix an internal head gasket leak in my 30 years of fleet management has been new gaskets.
The $2,000 is a city type price for this job but several folks have shown that even in an urban area you can shop around and do better.
I know that even if you get it down to $1200 the struggle is what is the car worth VS what I am going to spend. If the rest of your car is OK there should be another 100,000 miles in it, but you are the one who knows what you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users