Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't believe this-- beware 56k carnage enclosed

On Wednesday we set out on our annual snow camping trip to Mt. Rainier. On the trip up, I got a bit stuck in a snow bank, nothing to be worried about until this:

11716PC281455-med.JPG

11716PC281456-med.JPG

11716PC281457-med.JPG

I was rear ended by a 2005 Jeep Wrangler at about 30 MPH. I was in the drivers seat and am suffering from severe neck pain, one of my friends was in front of the car pushing on the hood trying to help me back out- he ended up on the windshield after the car hit us and has cuts and bruises all over his legs and face. My other friend was next to the car and watched the entire thing unfold.

We'll be fine, but the car, not so much.

I'm very dissapointed as earlier this week the car looked like this:

11716PICT0907-med.JPG

I've spent more time working on this car than anything else in the past year, and you're going to love what his insurance company has to say about it.

I called my attorney and apparently they aren't required to repair anything. What they are required to do is find a comparable replacement according to the previaling market value of the vehicle in the area. So here's my problem: kbb value of the car is nothing, but it is the market value I'm concerned with. It must be comparable and I won't settle for anything less than what I had before the accident.

Here is my cry: Does anyone know a rust FREE 1982 4wd blue wagon in EXCELLENT condition? This vehicle is not to purchase, but to prove the market value of the car. Money is no object here, all I need is for a couple people to put their '82 up on the "market" at the price at which they would be willing to part with it so that I can show the insuarance company that this really is a one-of-a-kind and to replace it would be more expensive than fixing it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say $1500 to $2000 for a car in as good condition as yours. I bought a '84 GL Wagon with absolutly no rust or damage. Car had 130k and, other than bald tires, looked like it just came off the showroom floor. I paid $1300 for it.

However, no one other than us crazy subaru lovers are gonna pay that much for a old wagon. Best of luck getting money from his insurance. I say you ride that "my neck is killing me" story and try for some more money that way.

-Brian

Thanks! I'm super bummed out, and would be almost better if i was the one that crashed into a tree or something. At least I could only be angry with myself, but instead its like I was violated and I'm now getting raped by the insurance company. They also are insisting that they don't have to give me a rental for the time being, and I know for a FACT (thanks to my attorney) that they are required to do so. So I'm in serious melee with his lousy insurance. Oh man, I'm stressed out.

NOOOOO!:banghead:

that wagon was beautiful man, that is a major shame. Good luck on getting some $$$ back.:)

That would be excellent if I could find one similar to the one you are describing. I'm just concerned that I'll end up with a lemon or something and it will break down on me all the time. I know all of the quarks with this one, and would really hate to see it go.

I really don't care what the price is, they are replacing it to it's exact specs whether they like it or not.

I'd say $1500 to $2000 for a car in as good condition as yours. I bought a '84 GL Wagon with absolutly no rust or damage. Car had 130k and, other than bald tires, looked like it just came off the showroom floor. I paid $1300 for it.

However, no one other than us crazy subaru lovers are gonna pay that much for a old wagon. Best of luck getting money from his insurance. I say you ride that "my neck is killing me" story and try for some more money that way.

-Brian

Where would you recommend I look? What will it cost to have it appraised, and should that be covered under his insurance? Do I need before photos? LUCKILY I had a "photo shoot" for her just a couple weeks ago that shows how pristine she really was.

That's really sad. Your car was beautiful. What you need to do is to find a vehicle appraiser, not an insurance adjuster. Appraisers determine the value of cars that don't fit into the kbb mold. They can probably help you come up with a decent value.

I had a similar experience. Last winter a friend offerd to sell his Grandmas 84 subaru to me for, like $600. (Canadian) in payments even. Well I grabed it and she was magnificant. Every receipt since his Grandma bought it at the dealer and it looked just as good. One night we got snow and some sucker in a jeep slid into it parked in front of my house at 3 a.m. and did some good damage.

The insurance company in British Columbia (i.c.b.c = *********************s) covers everyone and so being in the middle, try to screw everyone equally.

The agent said the same thing about covering repairs up to the cost of replacement and suddenly started pulling advertisments for "mint" 84 gl's out of his rump roast. Well, I was forced to take the small amount of cash and never did find as nice a car and so added a bunch more cash and bought my 85 GL-10. The first suby never had a problem, my second has never not had a problem.

Fight the insurance co. tooth and nail. They will screw you and you'll never be happy. Keep your existing Suby and insist they repair the damages and make sure to drop the "...well my laywer was saying...&...I have to talk to my laywer..." as much as possible.

FIGHT THE FIGHT, FOR US ALL !!!:headbang:

The hatch yes, and bumper yes but so much more also.

Both of the quarter panels are buckled and the floor in the hatch is bent downward. Everything attached to the body is pushed forward and down so much in fact that neither of the rear doors even budge when you try to open them and the quarter panels are completely bent to hell. I'll try to get some better shots, but for now I'm too upset to even look at it again. My buddy took this when we got back to my house, and it shows a bit more of the damage:

11716PC281467-med.JPG

Both of the quarter panels look like that, and the frame is actually bent in the really bad spot. On the bright side, neither of the rear lenses broke! Those suckers are hard to find!

Stupid jeeps, they must be jealous.

That sucks pretty bad. What about a good auto body shop? I mean...maybe you could get us better pics but, I'm probably wrong, it looks like you just need a rear hatch and bumper... and the body could be beaten back into place?

Hi This is Jerry, your car is worth at leats 2 grand pluse your old car. If they don't let you have your old car with the 2 grand then tell them it will be 3 grand also tell the insurance adjuster that you have time how about you that really puts them in a bind. Because the insurance wants to close as soon as posable it cost then less money. This is exactly what happen to my brat about 3 years ago. It took about 5 or 6 months to get my money for my brat. I am still looking for a blue 86 brat that is in A 1 shape haven't found one yet. I also held out for 5 grand and got to keep my old brat. On the medical side of this accident hold out for at least 1 year that way you will find out if any thing is from this accident. Wow this is a flash back on my brat just makes me cry i mis my brat. Thanks Jerry

that really sucks. sorry to hear about that. my sube got hit in a parking lot, causing about 1500 in damage to the front end.

icbc f'ed me around a bit and i had to get it appraised. had them convinced that the car was worth 2500. they gave me 1000 and i kept my old car. found a hood the same colour and got the damage fixed for 200.

the moral of this story is, convince them that the wagon's worth more than it actually is.

I agree with Jerry, and be sure to present the pics and current eBay/craigslist pricing. Just go to the past auctions sections and find a recent sale that is comparable. Also, if there were personal injuries never sign off on them. Ever. Your medical insurance company can't recover from a settlement. I never condone suing people, but I am against insurance companies short-changing people on their coverage by pressuring them intoto take less than they are entitled to. Best wishes.

Mary

find every recipet for any part bought for that car or copys (friend,reletive picked up part) from anybody you know of any sub part that might that might fit or be adapted to that car, look nationwide for comparable, (CL) (xt6) (hemmings) etc, (check w/ your ins about uninsured motorist, if his insurence is balking about a loaner), use list prices, pregnant gf? cant make DR appts, injuries, no transpo, A few clues. been in a few wrecks.

ex demo driver. good luck and have a better new year. JR

your wagon looks to be an easy fix if you use the tailsection from another undamaged wagon, hatch, or Brat. If you do not want to fix it someone else here may want it -if you keep the car(yes that is posible) you can settle and keep the car as part of the settlement. Be my guess you can keep it for around $150-200.

your wagon looks to be an easy fix if you use the tailsection from another undamaged wagon, hatch, or Brat. If you do not want to fix it someone else here may want it -if you keep the car(yes that is posible) you can settle and keep the car as part of the settlement. Be my guess you can keep it for around $150-200.

Not to be a nag, but he said the car itself was bent and the rear doors now no longer open.

That really really sucks anyway. What'd the Jeep driver do?

get down their throats!!! :mad: fight till you win. now if you have a bent frame, *sigh* i'm sorry to say but the car won't be the same anymore even if you straighten the body. but still like i said at first. get down to their throats and get your money

i was in an accident a while back and it was he ll to deal with the insurance co.......don't settle no matter what ....it will get bigger.they know they are at fault and are trying to utilize diversion tactics .getting the the facts mixed up is hell in a case like this .do not take the attention away from the fact that your car was what most of us would kill for.i'd sign a petition for that......

Thanks for all of the help everyone! Keep it coming, I really like what I'm seeing, and I will be putting it all to work soon enough. This is why I love this place. Everyone here understands this mess and I truly appreciate all of your help!

A couple more questions for everyone:

Who is it in Spokane that has the beautiful green wagon? If you read this, please let me know, I could really use your help!

Where can I find said "past auction" section? I can't seem to find it anywhere!

I agree with Jerry, and be sure to present the pics and current eBay/craigslist pricing. Just go to the past auctions sections and find a recent sale that is comparable. Also, if there were personal injuries never sign off on them. Ever. Your medical insurance company can't recover from a settlement. I never condone suing people, but I am against insurance companies short-changing people on their coverage by pressuring them intoto take less than they are entitled to. Best wishes.

Mary