Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can't believe this-- beware 56k carnage enclosed

Wow dude, that sucks!

Last year, my GF got in an accident in my '84 turbo wagon, this is the carnage from that:

Subaru2.jpg

I got a $1996.43 check (it would have been totalled at $2000) and got to keep the car.

Still though, ruining a car in that good of condition is literally heart-breaking.

Good luck,

b84w

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, how do you get hit by a jeep going 30 MPH? (Not aimed to be mad at you) but what was this jeep guy doing? Can you go after him for some money? That sucks to hear about your car, man, I also had a sweet wagon hit from behind on the freeway destroying it just like yours.

I couldnt find anywhere on here how many miles (Im guessing the 56k had something to do with it) are on your wagon, but it looks pretty similar to mine. I have an 82 GL-10 wagon, its pretty optioned out. I recently paid $500 for it, but knowing what its worth; I wouldnt part with it for anything under $2500. It has a few things done to it, but it is still relatively stock. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Hopefully you saved all your receipts for ALL work done. including receipts from before you owned it. Even down to the .50 bolt.

Create a list of all these reciepts, add it to the KBB price.

I had a nearly IDENTICAL situation happen with a 94 lifted Toyota, the only difference is that I was at a stop sign on the road. I forced the insurance company to value the car (an 82 DL Brat in primo condition) at $5500.00. Th repairs cost nearly $3500.00 to rebuild the back end and pay for a rental for THREE MONTHS while replacement parts were located.

You don't have to accept the "totaled" settlement. Make them fix it!

Kurt

Hopefully you saved all your receipts for ALL work done. including receipts from before you owned it. Even down to the .50 bolt.

This is true, I literally had EVERY receipt from getting the stereo installed, to exhuast, tinting the windows, etc..

What they actually did with my car is, since the original estimate the insurance company gave me was so low, I just asked my agent to get another appraisal on the value of the car. What they ended up doing was contacting a company that does appraisals on classic cars and custom motorcycles and gave me a WAYYYYYY more reasonable offer/appraisal on the car.

b84w

Sorry to hear about your car, but I'm glad you're ok.

As far as the insurance co. goes, stay on em. Call them every day. They are not required to provide a rental immediately. They are allowed up to 30 days to perform their own "investigation" of the incident. This is to try to avoid some fraud but in many cases it is just used as a cop-out. Once fault is determined, THEN they must provide a replacement vehicle. They will tell you that they will only get you a rental for something like 3-5 days. This is a bluff. They are required to provide transportation until the claim is settled.

When it comes time to deal with the value of the car, they will low-ball you. Badly. Don't be insulted. THis is just negotiation. THey are hoping that you will see them as the all-powerful insurance co and won't argue. Instead, come at them with every receipt you've ever had for that car. Take it to an appraiser and have them work their magic. Odds are, they will come back at you with a list of "comparable" cars. Demand a copy of that list and be prepared to go through the list one at a time to see just how comparable they are. As an example, when my wife's Saturn SC2 was totalled a couple years ago, they came back with a list of cars that included SOHC station wagons and sedans with automatic transmissions. I complained that the cars were not comparable since this car was a sports coupe with the DOHC engine and the "sports" package which included upgraded brakes and suspension. Due to other financial constraints, I wasn't able to hold out as long as I would have liked, but at least I didn't go in the hole on the car. Complain to them that since you no longer have transportation, you are unable to make Dr. appointments. This will have the tendency to speed things up in getting you a rental.

Tip: When they agree to getting you a rental, insist that they use Enterprise. The reason is that the Insurance company will rent a comparable vehicle for you. Your wagon was a compact, so that's what the insurance company will try to rent for you. That's fine, but Enterprise is almost ALWAYS out of compacts. This means a free upgrade to a midsize for you.

Finally, when you get to the doctor, listen to him, not your lawyer about what hurts and what doesn't. That will work itself out later.

Good luck to you.

Ouch im so sorry. If that were my sedan wrecked i would probably cry..yeah i can admit that. I love my car and would be hard pressed to find another sedan in the new england area in as good shape. Good luck with finding another wagon and settling with the insurance company. And what is it with jeeps? Seems everyone knows someone that has been hit by one of those things. My good friend got T-boned by a jeep running a red light..a mother with kids in the back seat!!! And then she had the nerve to blame him for the accident!! To quote Family Guy "that really grinds my gears!"

What'd the Jeep driver do?

He got out of his car, and was like "don't worry, I have good insurance." Thats really all he said. But traffic was building up behind us, and I was hyperventalating, so my friends started trying to get it pulled out. Got out my tow chain and they put it on the little hook on the bottom, and he wrapped it around his bumper (WTF?). End result: Subaru still stuck in snow, Jeep's bumper ended up on the ground. We ended up getting pulled out by the monster snow plow thing. He just chug-a-lugged and pulled me right out of the drift.

do not take the attention away from the fact that your car was what most of us would kill for.i'd sign a petition for that......

I may actually take you up on that, so thanks! I'm going in there on Tuesday with a head of steam. I'm bustin' heads and taking names- so I'll post it up here, if I need anything of the sort.

Yeah, how do you get hit by a jeep going 30 MPH? (Not aimed to be mad at you) but what was this jeep guy doing? Can you go after him for some money? That sucks to hear about your car, man, I also had a sweet wagon hit from behind on the freeway destroying it just like yours.

It was in the snow, and around a corner. It wasn't slippery prior to the turn, but apparently the turn was. I turned my wheels, and didn't turn at all. I laughed as I crashed into the snow bank, and then cried when the Jeep (clearly out of control) crashed into me in the exact same fashion.

I couldnt find anywhere on here how many miles (Im guessing the 56k had something to do with it) are on your wagon, but it looks pretty similar to mine. I have an 82 GL-10 wagon, its pretty optioned out. I recently paid $500 for it, but knowing what its worth; I wouldnt part with it for anything under $2500. It has a few things done to it, but it is still relatively stock. If I can be of any help, let me know.

The odometer reads 270100, but the motor and tranny are quite a bit less than that. Probably 56000 on the motor and about the same on the tranny.

I'll be meeting with the adjuster on Tuesday, and depending on what he says, would you be willing to "put your car on the market" at the price at which you would be willing to sell it? I don't want to steal your baby from you, I just need similiar cars in similiar condition to help me demonstrate the value of these things to the insurance.

well atleast you get to beat around a rental car:D

I don't know if I get to drive it or not... I'm not 23 or 24 or whatever the requirement is. I may having to do the ol' family car switcharoo, let my mom drive the rental and I'll drive her crappy van or something.

If I do get to drive the rental though, I'll be having some fun with it!

100% his fault, absolutely. We had a flare out on the road to prevent this exact situation. There was no reason for him to be travelling at such a high speed.

Jeez,I sounded like a blowhard there...

even if his insurance won't pay, you can sue his rump roast since it was 100% his fault (or at least, more than 50% his fault..) and I'm pretty sure with 3 witnesses you could prove it in small claims court.

No clue. I think I've seen it once. There are a few drop-dead gorgeous EA81 wagons around here; if I see one I will try to talk to the owner. Don't hold your breath though, they don't pop up often. Good luck!

Hm, you might also contact Aaron's Auto Wrecking for value information...

Who is it in Spokane that has the beautiful green wagon? If you read this, please let me know, I could really use your help!

100% his fault, absolutely. We had a flare out on the road to prevent this exact situation. There was no reason for him to be travelling at such a high speed.

Jeez,I sounded like a blowhard there...

Dude, you do not sound like a blow hard. If anything you sound totaly calm.

The road flare was proper road safety and more than most people would have the sense to do. Sounds like the jeep owner was messing around too fast in the snow, thinking the worst he would do is end up in a snow bank, except some one was already in there. Your friend is lucky to be alive and you are going to have to start a file on this including your doctors reports, adjuster reports, blue book values, ect. Every bit that it will take to get you back to something that makes you just as happy. Look for equal condition vehicles across the country and even in Canada and then include the price of shipping it.

This is a collecters car that anyone here would kill for!

I will sign any petition stating that this is an extremely rare find of an extremely quality car in extremely excellent condition.

I hope I spelled extremely right.

Steve M.