Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Crankshaft pulley slipping, cant do timing belt...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spideyz

spideyz

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Sebastopol, CA

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:31 PM

So I go to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt on my 94 Legacy and I hit a snag. I had anticipated having a hard time getting the bolt broken free, but now I have a problem I was not aticipating.

I am using a strap wrench around the pulley and a 22mm socket and a long cheater bar. The problem is that before I get enough leverage for the bolt to move, the pully's interior starts to spin, while the outer part stays put. It seems like the pully is two pieces. There is a rubbe o-ring between the two. I cant see any way to keep the interor part from spinning.

Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, does anyone have a solution? Hopefully my description is clear enough. Thanks. Keith

#2 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:37 PM

If this is the 5 sp in your subscript, I always put my manuals in gear to break loose the crank bolt. Once I had a breaker bar jamed against the ground, then just 'nudged' the car in 4th until it broke loose.

#3 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 01 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

This looks like one of those rare cases when the pulley splits when the factory procedure isn't followed. The rubber should be bonded to the metal on both sides. But you probably needed a new one anyway.
Use something to jam the flywheel or flexplate, whichever you have.

#4 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

Sorry dude, your harmonic balancer came apart. Ferret, the problem is not his bolt coming loose, the problem is that the rubber holding the harmonic balancer together is old and has come apart.

Break the bolt off with the starter trick:

- Put a ratchet on the bolt and put a long metal bar on the ratchet
- Turn it until the bar is touching the ground on the left (driver's) side of the car
- Go inside the car and pop the starter very quickly. Only engage and immediately release it.

That should break the bolt loose and then you will have to get a new crank pulley.

#5 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:36 PM

ya do yourself a favor and get a lightweight one, not the underdriven one though, look on ebay, you'll find one.

~Josh~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users