Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy stalling and stumbling

My legacy wagon 2.2 litre is stumbling a bit. When I first take off in the cold mornings and arrive at the first corner I press the clutch and the car will stall. it takes about 3 or 4 minutes before the car will not stall upon arriving at a corner.

Even once warm the revs drop almost to zero before 'bouncing" and returning to normal ~900rom.

Ideas? Idle control valve?

For the love of the Subaru gods, be careful cleaning it!!! You can make it worse by putting the wrong crap in there. I sprayed carb cleaner in mine (some cheap off-brand) and ruined the IAC valve. I had to makeshift an idle by using the throttle body stopscrew.

I've been told to use brake cleaner instead, since that evaporates...:-\

• 2 weeks later...

Found that a vacuum hose had disconected. Reconnected and now the car is better in some ways and worse in others.

The check engine light no longer comes on for example

Could it be that the ecu "integrated" the faults into the system.

I will unplug the negative cable and leave it for a few hours to see how things are.

Suggestions?

Subyluvr2212, I'v read your story about the IAC valve cleaning a number of time and since I want to do it also - and you got me worried - I'd like to ask you a question.

In your opinion, what exactly happened to RUIN your IAC Valve. If it were only a matter of gumming it up, why would a second cleaning with a better solvent not solved the problem? I feel someting is escaping me. Could you help?

Originally posted by anaphe

Found that a vacuum hose had disconected. Reconnected and now the car is better in some ways and worse in others.

The check engine light no longer comes on for example

Could it be that the ecu "integrated" the faults into the system.

I will unplug the negative cable and leave it for a few hours to see how things are.

Suggestions?

reset your ecu. If the ECU learned all the bad data from when the vacuum line was off, it's going to be skewing a/f trends.

I read the above post with great concern regarding ruining the valve. I after looking at the valve I have a hard time wondering how it could be ruined by using carb cleaner.

I took the electric portion off - DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE I DID - there are springs inside which went flying - so be cautious. I then cleaned the electric solenoid by hand with a rag.

Then I attacked the valve body. I used some brake cleaner because that is all I had on hand with a small brush. I then filled it with clean and taped the holes shut and left it for 1 hour.

removed tape drained et voila

Car has never run this smooth in 5 years of ownership between myself and my sister. I may price out a new valve for kicks has anyone already done this?