Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got an rx . . few questions.

OK -

I picked up this lil 88 RX sedan for 1000 bucks, its hella clean, runs great, with cold a/c.. 155k on the clock

just a few questions, are there any inherant problems with this vehicle? Ive owned quite a few subarus before

88 xt-6 awd auto, 87 gl10 turbo wagon, 85 non turbo wagon.

and a legacy awd turbo wagon (super rare, should of never sold it)

I already replaced the oil pump, timing belts, water pump, radiator, and fixed the regular subaru leaky water hoses.

Are there any inherant problems with theese cars?

How strong is the drivetrain on this thing, i dont wanna break something doing a nice 4-5k launch..

Its a california car, so it has a big cat right after the turbo, along with one under the car, what other emmissions crap does it have that i should remove? are the ecu's different? how rare are the RX sedans? I had never seen one until i got this, only the 3 door hatch backs..

As for mods, i cut off the bottom of the airbox with my grinder, and that opened up the top end a little bit, along with all the cool sound effects that make the honda boys crap their pants. How much boost can i run safely without an intercooler?

now - thats a mouthful.. Heres some pics

rx.jpg

rx1.jpg

rx2.jpg

rx3.jpg

rx4.jpg

rx5.jpg

thanks for your help in advance!

Bean

Its the same engine as your 87 turbowagon was 1.8l Turbo EA82T with 115 HP.. Drivetrain is strong, But I don't recommend 4-5k clutch drops in anything. The downpipe/front cat is not limited to california cars.. they all came with it.. as well as the second cat underneath.. have a custom downpipe made with a nice 3 way cat for better flow. The turbo is capable of 15 psi, though most people don't run them that high. 10 seems good.. 12.5 if you have an IC

god i miss my wagon, it had like... 230k on it, ran well then the turbo locked up, so i just drove it around non turbo for a while, then put in a non turbo carb motor (dont hate) and sold it for 600, when i got the car for 100 bucks needing a timing belt and a cv axle. it barely ran, but hell i made money!.

I plan to intercool, but my main agenda is to get the downpipe made... Im one hell of a welder, so... maybe ill make a couple, if it turns out well.. but for the rx.. is it rare to have a 4 door?

thanks - its a pretty healthy car, it will burn all 4 and go sideways in 4 low, 1st gear of course.. As for the clutch, ive always pulled the motor on the non turbos, whats the easiest way??

pull the tranny, or the motor??

i understand that pulling the tranny means that i have to remove the front axles, rear drive shaft, some linkage and alot of wires...

but pulling the motor ( on a turbo) poses its own problems...so, i wonder...

any ideas?

I've got a twin!

http://www.rallyracers.com/old&new1.jpg

Great car, and yes rare! Mine currently has a bad motor, but I'm only a little surprised given it's previous life. I've done some fairly abusive things to mine and it never complained. I've rally crossed it and TSD rallied it. It's gone "off roading" at the East coast Pine Barrens meet, and never once complained. The motor failure was due to a previous life of improper maintanance, and me taking some bad advice. Anyhow, I wish mine was as rust free as yours.

Enjoy!

i have a stock 85 (1 of 1400) without the body kit of AWD trans and center diff...ive never seen one as nice on the east.

you said youve owned a loyale turbo before so you know the story - keep an eye on things like the timing belts, water pump, and radiator and youll be a happy dude.

by the way...i done clutch dumps at redline numerous times in mine while in 4WD LO on concrete, never hurt anything except the ground...where are all the "no 4WD on dry roads" purists now?

i owned a c5 vette from a stop to 20mph on my lunch break..

he laughed when i revved at him, when the light turned green and i jumped 2 cars in front while he was smoking his tires, i just let the hazards blink twice and let off... he went screaming by with the thumbs up out the window, glad to be back in the turbo awd game... :D

Best way to do the clutch is to pull the tranny in my opinion. The rear drive shaft is just a few bolts on the diff end, and the axles come off the tranny easy if you remove the lower control arm bolt. The sway bar has to come out anyway, so when those two are done, you have plenty of room to pull the axles off the tranny. Disconnect the shift linkage, and the cross-member, and unbolt it from the engine, and it will drop right out. I've done this a number of times with just jack stands in my driveway. I could easily do this in a day with a friends help to put the tranny back in (harder cause you need to get it up instead of down.... damn gravity).

GD

Originally posted by 88rxsedan

pull the tranny, or the motor??

i understand that pulling the tranny means that i have to remove the front axles, rear drive shaft, some linkage and alot of wires...

but pulling the motor ( on a turbo) poses its own problems...so, i wonder...

any ideas?

i would recommend pulling the motor, it comes out just the same as any other soob motor, all the turbo and extras stay on the motor.

you will undo the bellhousing bolts, the throttle cable, heater hoses, mpfi wiring harness unplugs from body, and a ground wire by the water pipe.

the unbolt the downpipe from the turbo, as it will stay connected to the tranny, and the motor will pull away from it as it comes out.

i have found it a lot easier to pull the motor rather than the trans, because to pull the trans, its the same amount of unbolting, plus removing the starter, axles, driveshaft, leaking gear oil, being under the car....

if you got a hoist then use it!

i pulled a turbo xt motor to swap from a bad 4wd auto to a 2wd auto, even if removin/swapping the trans, its easier if you pull the motor first.

My 3 door gets about 26 mpg. My dad's 4 door isn't running yet. I don't know if there would be much difference in mileage. I wouldn't advise boosting over 14-15 psi. I usually run about 11-12 psi. I just blew my head gasket sunday from running too much boost. I hope its just a head gasket. It started to miss and the idle speed went down. I took off the oil cap and there was a lot of air coming out. Nice car. Its nicer than my dad's.

Let's see, they built RX sedans from 85 to 88 and 3drs from 87 to 89, so the first two years of RXs were nothing but sedans. When comparing the RXs to all other Subarus, yes, they are rarer, but the 3dr is rarer then the sedan. But what makes your car rare is that it is an 88, that is the last year of production for the RX Sedan, and there aren't many 88 RX Sedan around.

sorry, thought i had something rare...

just that ive seen a million 3dr rx's, but never a 4 door..

im in south texas you know ;) and every "rx" website i found on my journey to this site only had pics of 3 dr 's ..

oh well, to me its just my special little subie, worthy of a few mods - but nothing to spectacular.. its a daily driver to go along with my 85 300zx, and 87 isuzu impulse turbo .. Dont know what it is, but im just loving my 80's turbo cars.. :D

josh, who has a 3-door rx, would rather have a sedan rx any day! at least i know of someone who would covetm YOUR ride!

he was considering taking all the rx goodies and putting them in a gl sedan!

but now Myoss Feece will be owning the rx here in the next day or 2, the deal being closed!

dont let the rx go for nothin'!!!

i still think the RX sedan is rarer...

to me the 85-86 cars are totally different then the 87+ RX sedans because they didnt have bodykits or the RX-specific DR AWD trans so im not counting them (85-86) into the equation.

everytime i see an 87+ RX on the road its a 3dr...never a sedan. mine was the first 4dr RX ive ever seen and keiths was the first with all the extras...

ive even seen more black 3door RXs then the sedans were talking about

I didn't say your's wasn't rare, in fact I did say that it was because of it being the last model year of sedans. I was just saying that they made more sedan RXs then 3dr RXs. Dennis is lucky if he sees more black RXs then sedans, because the black RX is the rarest of all the RXs, it was only produced for half a year. There are some differences between the 85-86 and 87-88 RX sedans. The two main differences are the color and the tranny. The 85-86 models were available in several colors, the 87-88 were only available in white, the trany , in the early car it was an on demand 4WD, in the later it was a Fulltime 4WD, both were dual range, but that later ones had a center lockable diff.

Fox, the marking on the side was different each year, there were some 3drs with the same markings as this sedan, they were 88 RX 3drs.

By the way, 88rxsedan, please go to my web site (in my signature block) and find the link to the RX database, then please send me that same information on your car so that I can add it to the database.

Ok afew things:

#1 Awesome score

#2 Do you want to buy a set of the original equipment white wheel covers??

#3 Personally I would yank the engine to do the clutch just so I could get to all the stubborn hoses on the backside of the engine and in tight spots alot easier... I guess it depends on which hoses you already swapped. then again I dont know crap about transmissions to yanking the engine is my only personal option unless I have a learned individual there.

#4 4 wheel burnouts are always fun next to hondas :banana: Unfortunately my 87 GL is carbed so it can only break all 4 loose in the rain.

#5 Want a bit sportier feel to the shifter? Check my website :D

My short (length) shifter mod

Oh and I chopped 2 inches total, not 1.75 like it says on there.