Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new/used front clip

I changed my fenders belly pan and front bumper today. They were pretty dented up, not from accidents or hitting stuff hard. Got em from stupid stuff like punching a fender when I was pissed off.

With all the stuff off my car I used a piece of square tubing and a tape measure and found out the front end of my car is bent 3/8" to the passenger side and up a 1/4". I'm suprised because I've never ran into anything hard enough to crack the plastic bumper cover. I'm guessing the times all 4 tires were off the ground was caused this.

Now I gotta figure out something to do with the rust behind the back tires. I was thinking diamond plate until I saw the price. Maybe sheet metal. What is behind the panels between the back bumper to the rear tire and then up to the channel that runs down the car?

As long as the strut mount points and control arm mount points are in the same relative positions the handling will not suffer.

There are some REALLY NICE looking GL wagons around Fairbanks...I'm looking to snack one up for myself as a daily driver (or a 92-94 EJ22T Legacy) and either give my wagon to my dad for commuting or put my EG33 in it (and take it off the street).

Point being...getting a new chassis with no rust and perfect alignment is a no brainer (for me anyway) as far as these cars are concerned. They're not terribly expensive...

In that well the passunger side, there is the fuel pump wires that you have to be carefulll of. On the drivers side, there is the washer res and pump. i rebuilt mine with sheet metal and rivits with liberal bondo usage. Then I painted it black from a spraycan to cover everything up. Polyurethane expando foam in a can also works for panel re-creation ;) just shave it with a razor blade after, bondo skim coat and paint.

Wasn't there an icident with a gravel pile and airtime that might have bent the front?