Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Legacy Check Engine light

My 92 Legacy LS has started to occasionally flash the Check Engine light. It will come on at random times for about 30 sec. then go out. I know there is a way and place to check the flashing light codes, But I havn't found it yet. Can I get a bettter discription of it's location, or a link to the info please.

Thanks.

Have you found the cause fo your check engine light comming on and going dark?

I just came to this site today, and havent had a chance to try to get codes. I just wonder if there may be a common issue to take a peak at in the mean time.

First I need to replace the rear diff.

thanks for any news you may have

Steve

Hey! If you find the reason, let me know. I had a 1993 Legacy and around the time it hit 180,000 miles it did this funny little flash dance as well. First time it came on, I was like "CRAP!" I pulled over and let the car run for a couple of mins. It didn't go away. Oddly enough, when I figured I would just drive it the 5 blocks back to my apartment, when I turned the corner, it went off. I restarted the car and it wasn't there. Next time it came on I was cookin down I-5. I pulled off at the next exit and it went off as soon as I hit the stoplight. *grumble* Next time was on a highway in Colorado..

No rhyme or reason -no apparent distress. I thought for sure it was an electrical glitch. I didn't want to mess with it for sure! After another 4000 miles, I dumped the car (at 198,000) and bought a new one... that seems to cause me more trips to the dealership than the Legacy did. *curious*

Was away on a road trip for the past week and the darn light never made an appearance. over 2000 Km of travel. But I now need a blue leather shifter handle and park brake handle because of a stressed out labrador pup's need to chew on things. I will look at the codes this afternoon if I can get that to work

hey fallen,

I bought my 91 Legacy in Edmonton about a year and a half ago, what a small world. With the little use of road salt there (because it's so #*$@# cold it doesn't work) my car had an excellent body condition, just a couple of minor rusty spots. Only now that I'm in Ontario, the cancer is spreading. It was a lot of work, but I took off the front bumper cover so that I could access the bottom lip of the fender and sand/prime/paint. I'm eventually going to do the same at the back.

My 92 Legacy is from Ontario, where it is plainly evident they use lots of salt because it is warm enough to work. The rust is a significant factor in how long I will keep this one, but I plan on at least 2 years before I can justify a change. If I can keep the rust in check for the time being I will be happy.