Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A/F Mixture changes when head lights on

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have one of those Autometer A/F Mixture gauges. When I turn on the head lights, the gauge shows that the mixture runs leaner by about three more bars. Then if I turn on my fog lights, it will run a little leaner. I don't think the gauge is reading wrong because I also notice that the idle speed drops a little too.

Do you think my gauge is faulty or is there something I can do or adjust to fix this?

#2 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

Have you upgraded all your ground wires, and made sure they're getting a really good connection? Some people have even added extra grounds to good effect. This is actually a fairly common fix to fuel injection / ignition problems.

#3 Frank B

Frank B

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • VA

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

10 guage wire connected to the engine block to the body works well. Also check your alternator.

#4 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

I have one of those Autometer A/F Mixture gauges. When I turn on the head lights, the gauge shows that the mixture runs leaner by about three more bars. Then if I turn on my fog lights, it will run a little leaner. I don't think the gauge is reading wrong because I also notice that the idle speed drops a little too.

Do you think my gauge is faulty or is there something I can do or adjust to fix this?

I had something similar happen on my GL-10. If you are running your A/F gauge with the factory O2 sensor, it will do it. It won't hurt anything. After a couple seconds, the LEDs should start going back and forth. If you're running a wideband, I couldn't tell you off hand what the deal is.

Patrick

#5 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

I had something similar happen on my GL-10. If you are running your A/F gauge with the factory O2 sensor, it will do it. It won't hurt anything. After a couple seconds, the LEDs should start going back and forth. If you're running a wideband, I couldn't tell you off hand what the deal is.

Patrick

I am running it off the factory O2. So this is normal then. So is the engine actually running leaner as the gauge suggest when the head lights are on or is just error due to reading off the factory O2.

Should turning on the head lights cause the idle to drop a little? Do you think adjusting the screw on the fast idle solenoid will do anything?

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

Thats normal...JWX has the same setup. Those narrow band gauges are junk. Seriously. I'm not knocking your stuff, but they are worthless.

#7 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:04 AM

My idle drops a little with lights and other electrical stuff turned on.

#8 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 07:14 AM

I am running it off the factory O2. So this is normal then. So is the engine actually running leaner as the gauge suggest when the head lights are on or is just error due to reading off the factory O2.

Should turning on the head lights cause the idle to drop a little? Do you think adjusting the screw on the fast idle solenoid will do anything?

I'll put it to you this way, A/F gauges aren't accurate when running off a factory O2 sensor. They will give you a rough idea of how rich or lean the mixture is, but they aren't exact. It is normal for the idle to drop as more electrical accessories are turned on.

You can adjust the fast idle screw and increase the idle RPMs. Mine is running about 1000 RPMs at idle, but the idle still drops a bit after I turn on headlights or other accessories. The gauge will still read that the idle mixture is leaning a bit, but it isn't leaning out as bad as it seems by looking at the gauge.

Patrick

#9 Marck

Marck

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Nipomo

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

Alright, thanks for the replies. When the head lights are on and the turn signal is on, the A/F Mix gauge goes back and forth in sync with the turn signal. It kind of reminds me of Christmas :rolleyes: .

Although it is not even close to the accuracy of a wideband, I think it is well enough to keep me from leaning out when I increase the boost. Widebands are way to expensive for my blood.

#10 D-Cal

D-Cal

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Edmonton

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

Make sure you run a dedicated ground for the gauge back to the negative post of the battery. Tying it in somewhere else will often give you an inaccurate reading. The sensor voltage is in the range 0-1v, so changes as small as 0.1v will be seen on the gauge as two lights.

#11 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:24 PM

Although it is not even close to the accuracy of a wideband, I think it is well enough to keep me from leaning out when I increase the boost. Widebands are way to expensive for my blood.

I know what you mean. You can use your gauge to good affect though. With turbocharged cars running in the richer a/f ratio range than N/A cars (especially with modifications done the the turbocharged car), then the inaccuracies start to show its ugly face. Nice to see you even have one in the first place. I need one myself but I'm still stuck on the Jumptronix digital models. I would get an EGT gauge before getting an a/f ratio gauge though.

#12 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

Make sure you run a dedicated ground for the gauge back to the negative post of the battery. Tying it in somewhere else will often give you an inaccurate reading. The sensor voltage is in the range 0-1v, so changes as small as 0.1v will be seen on the gauge as two lights.

That reminds me that I need to put my ground where it *SHOULD* be when the new sensor gets here tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users