Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drilling Chevy 6 lug wheels?

Expanding on Zaps fine work. If you run bigger tires on a Loyale body the biggest single clearance issue in front is the body seam at the back of the wheel opening(front corner of the fire wall). You will find that even on a lifted wagon you'll have issues here. If you add offsett(tires sticking out more) to the wheels the tire will hit there even sooner(Zaps triangle). My tires are 26.3" according to the Dunlop and on 14" Pugs they rub that seam even though Iv'e beaten it down. It's especially common when reversing as the suspension allows the stearing knuckle a small degree of movement front to back(play in all those rubber bushing). Not that it's a bolt up but Iv'e though we should really be moving the crossmember forward a bit with the lifts to allow for some more room in this spot.

Oh - I didn't realize they would fit such a large tire. I was going by what I have seen, and mostly I have seen narrow stuff on them. I think the narrowness of the pug rims makes any tire you put on them *look* narrower than they really are. I don't know if having a narrow rim is any help when off-road, but for some reason, they just don't look right to me. But I concede that they may be ok for some applications. My point was simply that you won't save any money really with the pugs, and the replaceability of the chevy's is good if you bend up a rim. It can be hard to find pug rims, and probably will get harder in comming years, so I figured it would be best to just go to something we will be able to find in quantity for a long long time. (and the chevy white spoke rims just plain look good!..... they come in black too)

GD

GD. The thinner wheel is a good thing. It allows for a really good bead, and therefore allows you to deflate your wheels more with less worry of broken beads.

Your point about the price and availability is a good one. However, I can get pugs any time I need. I'm pals with a pug guy. I also found a local shop that does pugs and who's owner has no problem selling wheels to whoever would hand him cash for them. He's happy to get them off his shelves.

Hassey. Still waiting for dirty pics of your brat. . . :banghead:

Soobme I remember I promised so to you, but I thought you had scored some.

Caps no, but lugs yes since I did say I would.

Email me your snail mail again and a prompt so I don't forget. You can get me back for the shipping. I'll tell you after I ship them, OK?

Zap

Has anyone actually cut out and ground down that unibody seam that sticks out purpondicular to the wheel well? Im at this point right now. Either bash the crap out of it so these 30"s dont rub or cut it out and grind it down.

Looks like if I pound it there will be still a half inch of folded metal sticking out. If I could cut and grind it down I could gain that half inch back.