85 - 89 5 Speed D/R 4WD tranny
into an 80-84 Body Style vehicle...
This was out together after conversations with Qman, Eric, Mike, and the many discussions about it on the message board...
Be sure to use loctite on all bolts when re-assembling
1. Put vehicle on Jackstands
2. drop exhaust
3. remove center consoles/shifter knobs, etc
4. remove bolts holding tranny to bell housing
5. remove sway bar
6. pull axles off stubs
7. remove drive shaft
8. plug end of tranny, or drain gear oil
9. remove starter
10. unhook speedo cable
11. disconnect any other connections to tranny
12. place jack under tranny and just take the weight off
13. take off tranny crossmember nuts
14. remove tranny mounts from tranny and crossmember
15. remove tranny and tranny crossmember
16. remove ea81 pressure plate/clutch
17. remove ea81 flywheel
18. replace rear crank seal if needed
19. grind edges of opening at bottom of bellhousing so the ea82 flywheel will fit without rubbing
20. transfer timing marks to ea82 flywheel if needed
21. replace pilot bearing in ea82 flywheel
22. install ea82 flywheel
23. install ea82 clutch/pressure plate
24. raise 5 speed D/R tranny into opening
25. install tranny crossmember
26. attach tranny to motor/bell housing
27. attach original tranny mounts to tranny and crossmember
28. prepare ea82 drive shaft. (If mounting into a Brat or Wagon no mods are necessary, if mounting into a hatch, the shaft must be shortened.)
29. weld carrier bearing mount into place
30. install ea82 drive shaft
31. weld carrier bearing mount into place
32. install sway bar
33. install exhaust
34. install axles
35. connect speedo cable
36. install starter
37. re-connect remaining tranny connections
38. intall interior ea82 boots/consoles
Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Guest Message by DevFuse
85-89 5 Speed D/R 4WD trans. to 80-84 body Style
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users