Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the difference between a gl and a loyale?

Also, I believe that loyales only came with fuel injection, whereas during different years, the GL came with a hitachi carb, single point fuel injection, multi-point fuel injection, and multi-point fuel injection with turbo.

Oh yeah, and the adjustable rear struts that came on some years of the GL were never offered on the loyale.

I think that's it, but I'm sure that there are a few other things.

gl's also have nicer seats, front map lights, rear cargo light, different steering wheel, use the cars colour on the lower part of the bumper... ummmm... come with rear speakers stock... yeah, that's all i can think of off the top of my head besides the other stuff that has been mentioned. yes d/r was an option.

OK... since I have both a Loyale and a GL sitting in my driveway right now, I'll take a stab at this...

The differences I've noticed between the late model GL's and the Loyale are:

-Dual Range trans not offered

-Full Time 4WD not offered

-Black bumpers

-No hatch trim on wagons

-Automatic seatbelts

-Cheaper seat fabric

-Smaller front door armrests

-Taller center console

-No front map lights

-No rear cargo light

-Shift lock on A/T models

-No rear speakers

-No coupes or touring wagons after 1990

Some of the changes you guys listed took place mid-way through the run of GL's. Here's some of those:

-1986: center brake light added

-1987: bumper/turn signal design, interior fabric, marker lights changed, struts no longer adjustable; FT4WD and 4-speed automatic becomes available

-1988: steering wheel and headliner design changed, washer nozzles moved from under hood to on hood, carbs not made anymore, manual windows and locks not available on GL?

-1989: touring wagon added to lineup

Hope that clears a few things up.

pretty much the reason that 90-94 ea82's are called the loyale, is because subaru came out with the legacy in 90, so the ea82's needed a name to distinguish the models.

tey wer gl/dl before that, because it was the only model out at the time (besides the brat, and the STD(the previous hatchback design)

"Some of the changes you guys listed took place mid-way through the run of GL's. Here's some of those:

-1987: bumper/turn signal design, interior fabric, marker lights changed, struts no longer adjustable; FT4WD and 4-speed automatic becomes available

-1988: steering wheel and headliner design changed, washer nozzles moved from under hood to on hood, carbs not made anymore, manual windows and locks not available on GL?

-1989: touring wagon added to lineup"

my 88 gl wagon has power windows, but not locks.

The rear windows on the Loyales were held in with a rubber gasket, whereas the GL had them glued in with urethane, just like the windsheild.

Anyone care to post some front bumper pics showing the differences?

Here is a pic of my 87 Turbowagon, but if you look, you will see that it has a Loyale front bumper and a Loyale hatch.... Need to find a junkyard willing to trade, so my car looks "right" and my rear def. and power gate latch work!

turbo4.sized.jpg

Originally posted by MaroonDuneDoom

"Some of the changes you guys listed took place mid-way through the run of GL's. Here's some of those:

-1989: touring wagon added to lineup"

my 88 gl wagon has power windows, but not locks.

Ummm... are you sure??? You probably have them and they just don't work. :)

Also - I would say that they are very much the same car. But I think you would be more accurate to say that the "Loyale" is more of a DL with an extra or two.

Rich

I'll throw in a fourth thumb for the power locks... the driver's door lock controls all five doors. Lock it, and it locks everybody's. Unlock it, and it unlocks everybody's. I find it really funny that I can open the door, lock it, shut the door, and then open it... I need to physically lock the door from the outside to prevent the door from being opened.

Thanks for all the info here, too... I've been concerned about the rust on my Loyale, and I've been thinking about whether it's worth it to fix it (I'll have a post in a few minutes concerning this), or whether I'm going to swap it out for something else...

I did notice tonight that I have a "Lo" light on the 4wd indicator on the dash, but no Hi/Lo selector. Is this a case of Subaru making the dash indicators universal?

It also has just the single dome light in the middle... it's perfect for the rear passengers, can't see diddly in the rear compartment, and middlin' for the front seats. It's not something I'd want to read a map by.