Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's the difference between a gl and a loyale?

Bard,

Am I understanding that you are referring to the door unlocking itself when you close it?

As far as I know, the front doors do that but not the rears, and you can keep the door locked when closing it by holding the outside handle open. At least that's how all four of mine are.

Originally posted by Martin

the locations for the front wiper sprayer is on the hood for loyales and just under the hood on gl's

True... but they actually changed the sprayers in 88. My 87 has em hidden and the 88 had them on the hood.

I am not sure to what vehicles this applies to, but all my GL's and GL-10's have had center consoles and shifter surrounds. Ive seen manual loyales with the shifter coming straight out of the carpet.

Originally posted by Hondasucks

The rear windows on the Loyales were held in with a rubber gasket, whereas the GL had them glued in with urethane, just like the windsheild.

Anyone care to post some front bumper pics showing the differences?

Here is a pic of my 87 Turbowagon, but if you look, you will see that it has a Loyale front bumper and a Loyale hatch.... Need to find a junkyard willing to trade, so my car looks "right" and my rear def. and power gate latch work!

turbo4.sized.jpg

He he your wagon looks so funny with 4 lugs.

My list of changes:

1985 New generation...

1986 Different rear hatch emblem, different seat upolstry (less vinyl than 85), different side view mirrors (no longer door mounted, they now mount on little triangle at front of window) Different D/R shifter (changes from :banana: shape to the kind of S shape of later years with an actual KNOB on the end)

1987 Different bumpers and grille and side markers, thicker black side moldings. Interior illumination changed from orange to green (so the digidash changed too) new steering wheel, new upolstry pattern, reconfigured dash controls (van control, wipers, headlights.... HVAC buttons)

1988 Steering Wheel changed, wiper nozzels moved, new headliner

and so on....

The GL's if they had a manual 4wd were all dual range. the DL's had the pushbutton 5 speed, single range.

Nope. My S/R, pushbutton 4wd tranny is out of a GL-10(definitely not a DL). I also know that Turbones turbo wagon has the factory S/R Pushbutton 4wd tranny in it.

Calebz, that's true for most turbo cars...

A couple other things I didn't see mentioned,

GL's had:

electric mirrors

chrome strip on side moulding and bumpers

Loyales didn't standard

I would call the Loyale a DL with a tach

Loyales were available with the full time trans in '90 and maybe '91, 4 speed auto with turbo

Not all Loyales had auto seatbelts or high consoles

Some '85/'86 cars had painted bumpers, GL-10 2wd

Most Gl/ Loyale body parts and lights will interchange

Originally posted by Martin

the locations for the front wiper sprayer is on the hood for loyales and just under the hood on gl's

they started the ones IN the hood in 88, on a gl sedan i have seen

tge one and only 90 loyale i have seen didnt have as much body trim as usual on gl, and it had a single range 5spd on an spfi

Originally posted by the_bard

I'll throw in a fourth thumb for the power locks... the driver's door lock controls all five doors. Lock it, and it locks everybody's. Unlock it, and it unlocks everybody's. I find it really funny that I can open the door, lock it, shut the door, and then open it... I need to physically lock the door from the outside to prevent the door from being opened.

if you hold the door handle up while closing the door, it will remain locked, if not, it unlocks.

its an anti lockout feature commonly found on many japanese cars for the era.

try it out!

I'll try that handle holding idea next time I go out... though I'm rather fond of having to actually turn the key to lock it. I don't have to worry about locking the key in the car... and somehow I doubt I have to worry about anybody attempting to car jack me (a rusted out Loyale just doesn't look fast, ya know? At least there's a silver lining to that cloud :banana: )

"I find it really funny that I can open the door, lock it, shut the door, and then open it... I need to physically lock the door from the outside to prevent the door from being opened."

Hold up on the door handle as you close teh door, then it will lock. It's a safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in your car. Although you can close the door and lock it with the key, and the rest of the doors will lock with it. The hatch is supposed to work off the power locks 87 and newer, but for some reason my gate latch does not lock with the doors, but I think it's cuz someone put a Loyale hatch on it. I know it has the solenoid for the lock since I've pulled back the trim panel and I can see it.

Originally posted by Hondasucks

The hatch is supposed to work off the power locks 87 and newer, but for some reason my gate latch does not lock with the doors, but I think it's cuz someone put a Loyale hatch on it.

The rear gate locks with the doors on my 92 Loyale. You could have a bad lock solenoid.

Here's what's on my '92 Loyale... don't know what's standard, and what's an option, though.

5 speed, single range, pushbutton 4wd manual transmission

Fuel injected

Black bumpers

Automatic seatbelts

Power locks

Power windows

Power mirrors

No front map light (Grrrr...)

No rear cargo light (Anybody dug around a box for tools without a cargo light? Not fun)

No rear speakers

Center top brake light

Recessed turn signals in the front bumper

Washer nozzles on the top of the hood

Wiper on the rear window (I love that)

Tachometer

I think those are all the differences that have been noted here... I've never physically seen a GL before, so it's hard to tell anything else.

When I bought it, my '93 Loyale Wgn had the gate power lock harness disconnected in the gate, and the trim panel was loose.

When I plugged the power lock back in, I found out why: on the wagon, that mechanism is NOT a solenoid, it's a motor with an output like a wiper motor. Mine had a stripped worm gear inside, so the limit switches inside it never shut the motor off, it would run all the time. It also didn't lock/unlock, of course.

I bought a used one at a yard ($35, nothing's cheap in the sticks), two bolts and new trim panel clips, all done.

Having the locksmith make the manual key lock work back there was a lot more work - -he worked on it for over a half hour (I watched) and charged me only $25, which was a steal for the work involved. He had the new chrome trim plates, too, so it all looks like new now, and the key still matches the rest of the car. He also had some of the black trim plates (for GLs?).