Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just gotta get this off of my mind

It's driving me nuts!!!! I have been keeping in touch with the guy I sold my old BRAT to. I always ask him how it's running, what he has done so far (He is restoring it) etc etc. He appears to be a really anal weirdo but that's besides the point. Anyway, He tells me, I fixed the front hubs/brake assemblies, replaced all axles because they were bad, the suspension is shot but haven't fixed it yet, the trans is really screwed up, the exhaust studs were totally stripped, the drivetrain has a weird noise, the engine needs work and has a lot of blow by etc..

This just upsets me. That car was my baby. There was NOTHING wrong with it when I sold the car to him except the exhaust having a small hole where it was previously welded. That car ran so damn good. Better than all the cars I have owned except my maxima which of course was newer. The axles weren't bad! The brakes were fine. Nothing wrong with the trans except for the sloppy shifter which he knew of but the trans worked just fine. Rear suspension was fairly new and front was fine. The studs were fine because I had replaced them. No noise from the drivetrain. Blow by, Yeah right.

In my mind, I know this guy is anal and will replace everything on the car just to make it new and that is good in that respect. However, It bothers me that he says this was bad, this was shot, etc... sort of blaming things on me just to make up for his obsessive compulsive diorder. I already wish that I didn't sell that car, this just makes it worse! Thanks for listening! I don't really feel better but at least I got to vent a little. Boz

Getting the same bull from my brother-in-law, (Wife's Sister's Husband). Had a '91 Cavalier I bought cheap. Replaced the head, water pump, put on used a used altenator. Patsy drove it and wanted it. Offered her '91 Sonoma as trade. What the hell, I did it. Now Rodger, complains about all the little squeaks, rattles, what ever. I tell you, that Sonoma ain't no great piece itself. Hell, I had to spend over $120.00, before I could even drive it.

Some people just don't appreciate what they have in front of them.

I agree with the others. Buy back all the "old, worn-out, bad" parts from him. You know what condition they were in when you sold it to him....

its like when someone goes for a ride in your rig, and they somewhat dismiss it, and couldnt even comprehend all the work that went into it, and say somethig stupid like the paint is faded, and pass it off ad a pos..

somewhat like a buy here pay here lot, its not the mechanical condition of ths car that matters, its how well it looks that will sell.

no pody will care if the brakes are grinding or the ecs light is on, as long as they can pimp it to the ladies, thinking they look good in their k-car!

You know, he may have had to replace all that stuff because he's trashed it out...

I must admit, I'm kinda anal when I don't know a cars history too well. But it sounds like he's going overboard since you've been up front. Don't take it personally.

"You can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself"

John

Yeah I am in the same situation wiht my 83 GL-10, I sold to my friend for $750 (GRRR, worth at least 1000) a while ago, since he needed a reliable car. Well, let's just say that he drives it like it's a firggin race car, and likes to deliver papers at like 60. So he gets mad at me cuz it needs new brakes blah blah blah new clutch etc.. The clutch was brand new, I had JUST DONE the brakes on it :madder: He offered it to me for $500, I told him $350 tops :-P

Don't sweat it, some people are really negative and have to complain, no reflection on you. I've met people that aren't happy unless they are complaining, it give them some kind of self importance, necessary to thier survival. Just be happy you didn't sell him a Ford!

Man, I refuse to sell cars to friends / aquaintences any more. Used cars will always have something wrong with them, because they are used. And when something breaks, or goes out on them, who do they call - you! It's like an implied warranty. And some of it too, is that I feel somewhat guilty, even though I know I shouldn't, so then I generally help them out with the problem. The best solution, is just to not sell to someone I know. When I sell a car, I don't want anything more to do with it.

J

I always give a warranty when selling a car to a friend or family member.. its the 5 minute/5 mile warranty.. if they are really good friends(and don't live too far away) I guarantee the car will at least get them home..

The worst thing is that once, on a fluke, I actually had to honor that 5/5 warranty.. thats embarrassing!

Originally posted by struculeus

Man, I refuse to sell cars to friends / aquaintences any more. Used cars will always have something wrong with them, because they are used. And when something breaks, or goes out on them, who do they call - you! It's like an implied warranty. And some of it too, is that I feel somewhat guilty, even though I know I shouldn't, so then I generally help them out with the problem. The best solution, is just to not sell to someone I know. When I sell a car, I don't want anything more to do with it.

If you've ever sold a car you really liked, only to have to trashed before your eyes in the place where you live, slowly degrading week after week, with nothing you can do about it, you know the heartache I felt when I sold a car to a guy who later sold it to a guy running a paper route years ago.

[Routes, whether newspapers or something else, wear cars out faster than just about anything else you can do on the street.]

The car wasn't cherry when I sold it, but it had about a thousand hours of my time into it, ran like a Swiss watch, and I'd put about 50k trouble-free miles on it. In the space of about two months, it was junk. Last I saw, it was on blocks, wrecked and parted out. That was 15 yrs. ago.

I give a warranty on just about everything, but it's usually just a, "I think this might go wrong sometime, and if it does I'll work on it for free if you buy the parts." I never guarantee parts that normally wear out like clutches, brakes, or CVs, and I make it clear that it doesn't cover anything that appears to be caused by abusive driving or negligence.