Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cuts out when it reachs operating temp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzasy

zzzasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Woodbridge

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Posted earlier (Do I have cracked heads/block) about the situation I'm having with my '98 OBW. For background, I replaced the cats and O2 sensors because the cats burned up. Car had been sitting for maybe 2 months. After replacing the cats I had sensor errors on camshaft position sensor, so I replaced the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position. Next it thru Knock sensor code, so I replaced the knock sensor. Took the car out and it runs fine when cold. When it reach operating temps it begans to sputter and cut back as if lack of fuel. So, I replaced the fuel filter. When I replaced the fuel filter the car seemed to drive a little better, but once it reached operating temp it began to sputter again.

I followed Ferret advice from the previous post and unpulled the front O2 sensor. The car ran pretty much the same, but it got a little worst. Interesting thing was it did not throw a O2 code. Instead, I got a fuel temp sensor code. I assumed this may have come from the new fuel filter, so I cleared it. Haven't taken the car out for a long drive, but when I did drive it this morning for a few minutes, no codes had come back. I will drive it when I get off to see if the code returns.

What do you guys think I should look at next? It appears to be more of a fuel problem than an electrical one. I just changed out the coolant, and it is black already; so could that be part of the problem. But, if that is the problem wouldn't that be present rather the car is warm or cold? Does the fact that it doesn't do it when cold sort of means its not a cracked head? Just searching for clues before I have to turn it over to the MAN. Should I replace the IAC?

zzzasy
'98 OBW

#2 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:39 AM

Could be the coolant temperature sensor. This sends signals to the computer and modulates fuel mixture and ignition accordingly.

However, black coolant doesn't sound promising. Good luck.

#3 zzzasy

zzzasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Woodbridge

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:52 AM

replaced coolant temp sensor (CTS) about 7 months ago. Also, the cooling fans appears to be coming on. If the CTS was bad, the fans would not be working, right? Also, the car has shown no signs of running hot.

zzzasy
'98 OBW

#4 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:14 AM

Is it cutting clear out, than restarting itself on a regular cycle, like three to five seconds? Our 2000 Leg did that, it turned out to be the fuel ratio sensor, and a reprogram (wider range) for the ECU.

Search the mtsmiths posts and you find a long and weary history, then final resolution.

#5 zzzasy

zzzasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Woodbridge

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

will do. No its not stopping. There will be lag, pickup, lag, pickup. It constantly goes like that. It has never sputtered out. It always picks back up.

#6 mtsmiths

mtsmiths

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,639 posts
  • Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

Sounds just like ours. Feels like it's shutting off, but always catches and keeps going. Gotta be hard on U-joints, In fact, I think I now notice pick-up and deceleration slack in ours!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users