Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cuts out when it reachs operating temp

Posted earlier (Do I have cracked heads/block) about the situation I'm having with my '98 OBW. For background, I replaced the cats and O2 sensors because the cats burned up. Car had been sitting for maybe 2 months. After replacing the cats I had sensor errors on camshaft position sensor, so I replaced the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position. Next it thru Knock sensor code, so I replaced the knock sensor. Took the car out and it runs fine when cold. When it reach operating temps it begans to sputter and cut back as if lack of fuel. So, I replaced the fuel filter. When I replaced the fuel filter the car seemed to drive a little better, but once it reached operating temp it began to sputter again.

I followed Ferret advice from the previous post and unpulled the front O2 sensor. The car ran pretty much the same, but it got a little worst. Interesting thing was it did not throw a O2 code. Instead, I got a fuel temp sensor code. I assumed this may have come from the new fuel filter, so I cleared it. Haven't taken the car out for a long drive, but when I did drive it this morning for a few minutes, no codes had come back. I will drive it when I get off to see if the code returns.

What do you guys think I should look at next? It appears to be more of a fuel problem than an electrical one. I just changed out the coolant, and it is black already; so could that be part of the problem. But, if that is the problem wouldn't that be present rather the car is warm or cold? Does the fact that it doesn't do it when cold sort of means its not a cracked head? Just searching for clues before I have to turn it over to the MAN. Should I replace the IAC?

zzzasy

'98 OBW

replaced coolant temp sensor (CTS) about 7 months ago. Also, the cooling fans appears to be coming on. If the CTS was bad, the fans would not be working, right? Also, the car has shown no signs of running hot.

zzzasy

'98 OBW

Is it cutting clear out, than restarting itself on a regular cycle, like three to five seconds? Our 2000 Leg did that, it turned out to be the fuel ratio sensor, and a reprogram (wider range) for the ECU.

Search the mtsmiths posts and you find a long and weary history, then final resolution.