Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Great Dealership or Junkyard find stories?

I was wondering what kind of miracle finds have happened to you guys?

I have 2:

one day, I was with my mom at kinelys Subaru getting the clutch in her 2.5RS replaced, and I saw a poster saying that they had subaru accesories on sale, I jokeingly asked kenny, moms relative somehow (stepcousin?) if they had any accesories for Brats. He said yes! he had a bushman brushguard brand new. It cost me $25! P.S. I asked him and it was the last one, sorry to disapoint.

Also, I was with my dad at hoovers junkyard looking for a buick v-6 alternator, and what do I see?, A Brat with a rollbar sitting in it!

it's from a 4runner but you can't get picky in this area. (I also striped the Brat)

what experiences do you have?

I was looking through some classifieds one morning, and i saw and ad for an 86 GL-10 turbowagon for FREE!.. As I had 3 soobs at the time, My wife said no.. Now Turbone is driving it around

Lets see.. then there was my 87 GL-10 wagon I got for $100.. running and driving.. turbone has that one too now.

Then there was my very first soob, My 88 GL-10 turboWagon..

Also got that one for $100.. only thing wrong was dirty connectors on the intake wiring harness . Had it for a couple of years before some dumb rump roast valet totaled it for me.. Funny.. Turbone has that one now too..

I'm starting to see a trend here..:D

Kinley's used to have TONS of older scooby stuff. It just so happens that I called them one day and the guy told me they tossed it all out 2 days earlier. I almost cried. Gotta check the small yards that most don't know about. That's where the goodies are. Boz

my stepdad's giving me my first car back: a silver '80 wagon 4x4 1600 that has like almost 300k on the clock now. (I gave it back to him after I thought it was on its last legs at 250k, and bought my loyale.. :banghead: ) Now i have a project car yay!!

any way, my best score was my recent rear brake swipe from a turbo sedan, with real nice rotors, brand new pads, and good calipers...then I swiped the brand new remmanned rear axel, both for $50.

My most recent "good find" besides my rims was when I was in Tx. Now they don't have alot of Subarus down in that area where I was so I had to take what I could get. What I took was a full brushguard off of an old wagon, a hood, a fender, and then at the other yard I went to I actually paid for disc brakes.

Gotta love Texas yard with their chicken wire fences and brightly lit full moons. It's like working in the day but with no one around. Ha Ha Ha

Oh yeah, I also got a rust free dent free door off of a BRAT

That was "free" too :lol:

Guest taprackready

My current and only sub so far was free. 1982 Brat with canopy. Been sitting at a friends house for some time and they were going to sell it. The teenage boys didn't like it. I had an 83 worn out rabbit GTI somebody gave me free so I offered to trade it for the brat. Took the brat home the same day and Ive been driving it for about 8 months. The GTI grenaded the engine and is junkyard bound.

Bill

It's nothing major but, I was just seeing what was around my area for when I did actaully need something (right now, it all works :) ). I found 3 wagons and a sedan there. Each one had a different peice of the literature that came with the cars when new. I was able to get the owners manual for my car (the right year) along with all of the warranty stuff, a Pre-sale check list, a booklet gising people answers to why Subarus are different and better so that they can spread the gospel to their friends. Pretty funny actually. There was a bunch of other "paper" stuff that I grabbed. The guy just told me to take it as he didn't want any of it. Nice guy. I've gone back to give him my business since but he just seems to like to give me things for free.

The aluminum Fin above the back window from a Subaru Dealer. On the table said make offer? I did.

$5 got me the Fin:D

It has outlasted the Hatch, It will be in the market place shortly.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, has a fin......:temper:

01 Forester, wants a fin...:madder:

Everything I've gotten from the Moose has been as described and dirt cheap. Someday I'll have to pay him full price for something, just to help level this out...

I got (am getting) a set of H-pattern alloys from the board for $75, plus shipping. Not too bad.

And I got two whole EA81 parts cars for the cost of the tow (sold to Chris Lantieri for $15/ 2 for $20)(Chris, the bees are gone!)

Finally if anyone down here is interested my local Soob dealer has a set of remanned EA82T heads for a hundred bucks. The only thing is they're Gen 1--anyone for a 5k mile special?

my good luck wasn't as phenominal as some of you other guys, but it was steal either way. i bought an 88 gl 4wd d/r -rear window for only $500. beautiful interior, only 110k miles, and she'll burn 'em all the way through first gear. gave her a tune up, new coil, and a rear window. good as it was in 1988:headbang:

man.....i love my soobie

I got my 1989 GL Touring Wagon (non turbo) with all the usual stuff in it (power this and that), 3spd auto, only one spot of surface rust, 53,000 miles (yup, original), runds perfect and has the fin on the back for $500.00. Sounds good to me. It was one of those things where it hadn't been started in about 1 year and only started periodically for the previous 2 years before that. If it died, I was out $500. If it lived, I got a good deal. IT LIVES!!!

Originally posted by Sweet82

The aluminum Fin above the back window from a Subaru Dealer. On the table said make offer? I did.

$5 got me the Fin:D

I has outlasted the Hatch, It will be in the market place shortly.

Glenn,

82 Hatch, has a fin......:temper:

01 Forester, wants a fin...:madder:

so whats this fin look like? my hatch is missing something :brow:

It really depends on who is at the checkout counter. There is one guy who knows EXACTLY what every part is. So he'll charge you what the computer sais. With the brushguards and the roll bar, there was a lady at the checkout counter that had no idea what they were, so she rang them up as "Scrap metal" wich is something like $.50/lb. There's no way to weigh the roll bar or the brushguards, so she guestimated.

-Brian