Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Turbowagon...needs help

Well, I added subie number two to the collection last night. Its an 84 GL turbo wagon. Has 140k on it, and it seems to be preety nice. I know little about ea 81s and its having issues. When Kingbobdole and I picked up the car, It didnt even have enough power to drive up onto the trailer. We got it home, and he found one of the valve cover vent tubes was disconnected. Re connected it, played with the distributor, and it runs. Heres the problem though. It smells super rich, and has NO throtal responce. Once its warmed up, It Idels at 3k. Turbo seems to boost. No idea where to even start on it. Any thoughts would be great!

Pics are here

http://photobucket.com/albums/a159/Blownbimer/84%20Turbowagon/?sc=1

605be428.jpg

looks like a nice t-wagon, auto? if so there could be tranny issues too if it couldn't move up a trailer very well. These are notarious tranny burners, remember what you brought up to me? Ditto on the tune up, seems like that just makes good piece of mind whenever you pick up a twenty year old car that you know nothing about. plugged fuel filters should be checked too.

hey I 've got a set of 4 spoke alloys like what is on my t-coupe if your interested in dressing the wagon up.

I'll think about that....Im kicking around the idea of selling it after I get it running decent. I just dont honestly have the time to spend on all these cars..A few may go up for sale soon.

I'll second the tune up. Also check the adjustment on the throttle stop and the dash pot. These may be out of adjustment and be throwing the idle off. Also check the air temperature sensor and the coolant temp sensor. I could think of more, but I'm trying to walk out the door!

Is there an easy way to check the fpr? it seems to be kinda tucked in to just replace and check.

Now the car gets hot when it sits...I could hear coolant boiling in the manifold or something...Im sure I'll get it..heh Tried adjusting the throtal stop, and it bumped it down to about 2K so theres still something wrong. The only way to get any power from it, is to advance the timing. Tried the carb cleaner trick to find a vacume leak, but no luck. Oh well...I'll get it!

The thermostat might not be opening, so try replacing that and giving the cooling system a good back flush. Did you try adjusting the dash pot and checking the other inputs for the FI system?

Okay, its comming along. Throtal cable was way too tight, so I adjusted that. once its warmed up, it runs great, good power and all. Thought I had got it. I just went out and started it, and seems as now its cold, it doesnt want to idel well (too low) and when first started no power...if I rev it at about 1500 for 30 sec, it gets power, but doesn't idel well. Which sensor should I check first?

AAV, coolant temp sensor or poor injectors could do that, have you checked for codes from the ecu?

Im lazy, I havent checked the computer. Heres what I've checked....Coolant temp sensor(s) connections looked okay on them...one needed some cleaning up. No change in how the car ran though. Then I went to the Air flow sensor, and unpluged it. The car smoothed out, and had good responce. Would that tell me the airflow sensor is bad?

I would shoot for a bad MAF. When its plugged in, its still sending a signal to the computer even though its totally wrong. When you unplug it, it puts it into "limp mode" where the computer will put in a variable for the MAF sensor calculated off of the other sensors. Just my $.02