Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 replacements?

fbh

Hi folks,

Just a quick question - are there any subie engines out there that are an easier swap for an EA82 than the EJ22, apart from the EA82T? I'm ideally looking for something with quite a bit more power (aren't we all? ;)), because I'm going to build a bit of an interesting thing out of this Subie. I don't think anyone here will be able to guess what :)

But yeah, I want to start with the engine. It's something I really want to do (Darned TOD!!!1eleven), but I don't have much access to fabrication tools and materials, and money... well, it's not in very good supply, but there's some of it around.

Cheers!

without tools, time, money i think EA82T is your only option. with some inexpensive mods you can get alot of power out of the EA82T. people are running much better quarter mile time with that than the 6 cylinder XT6. the EA82T is easy to modify. exhaust, turbo upgrade and intercooler on stock everything else can get you serious increases. check WJM's dyno thread, he's got some great numbers on a bone stock long block. somewhere around 150 hp AT THE WHEELS. you can't beat that for the price you can get an EA82T for.

that's a straight drop in. anything else will require serious wiring modifications, computer replacement and/or fitment issues. which means time, money and more parts.

the EJ22T is probably the way to go for serious horsepower. they can make alot of reliable power. the price different is a completely different category from an EA82T swap.

The EA82T seems the only way to go if you don't want to do a lot of fabrication or pay to have someone else do it. With anything else, you need to do one or both - more fabrication means less cost, but you're still going to have to pay to get more.

After having put over 250,000 on my carbed EA82, I'm getting ready to build a EA82T. I don't plan to put a lot of money into it. I got a turbo wagon the same year as mine with slipped timing belts, so the motor, ecm, wiring harness, turbo, exhaust (it's new), etc. all cost me $300.

cheers guys. An EA82T is sounding pretty good. 1 question though - I can get my hands on an EJ20 fairly cheap ($300 NZ, or about $200 US). it's a twin-cam motor and makes 140kw, as opposed to the SOHC EJ22's 99kw, which is a kind of a "wtf?" for me.

The question is, will a DOHC EJ20 be able to fit into my subie? (I suppose a different question is, can the DOHC EJ22 fit in? That makes 150kw... ;)) And of course, the other question is will it be possible to "restore it" to the EA82's ECU-less state (carbed, distro'd)? There's something special to me about motors that use carbs, dizzies and don't need computers to run. Kind of a "hot rod" quality :D Hmm... maybe slap a quad barrel carbie on there or something :D lol

Also, how reliable are EJ20/EJ22 engines with regards to the EA82, and how much punishment do you think they can take?

I've read a few articles on this swap also. I have the basic tools - a welder, hacksaw, jigsaw, jacks, and all the other basics, but no engine hoist - will I be able to do it with this?

Cheers :D

lol, nothing against wires and computers, I have another car that's ALL wires and computers :) I mean, aircon, ignition, timing, mixture, battery charging (alternator enable/disable), etc, all controlled by two computers... only things that _aren't_ computer controlled in the thing are the base idle and rough timing adjustment, lol.

But yeah, there's just something nice about having your engine feed itself mechanically. Something.... hotrod-ish about it :D

That, and it's a relatively easy DIY job to get more power out of a carb'ed engine - a fuel-injected one would need you messing with the ECU...

question though is, what modifications would be neccessary to get a quad-cam to fit in there?