Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loose screws on rear deflector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cubby

Cubby

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Canada

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:09 AM

I noticed that the bolts on the passenger side of the my rear deflector are loose and when I attempt to tighten them the rivnuts just spins. I have pulled all the trim on the rear hatch but there is no access to the rivnuts. I can see them spin from small access point near the washer nozzle. I tried using a small screwdriver to secure the rivnut but no luck. Its an 01 Forester.

If I need to I can drill 2 small holes thru the sheet metal just behind each rivnut and use pliers to hold them while I tighten the screws but that is plan B. What are my options?

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,582 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

Are you talking about the spoiler piece on top in the back?

I'm not of much help, but free bump.

#3 Cubby

Cubby

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Canada

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

The rear wind deflector - not the spoiler.

#4 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

Do the screws go into a blind space inside the door panel? You probably need to drill holes. Maybe you can use longer, and stainless bolts and put additional nuts on top of the rivnuts. If the rivnuts are rubber (wellnuts), just discard them.

#5 Cubby

Cubby

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Canada

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

Yes the screws go thru the blind space in the hatch panel. I figure I will just drill a few small holes to get a pair of pliers in and tighten them. The rivnuts are metal.

#6 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:45 AM

The reason the nuts are turning with the bolts might be that they are rusted to them, just something to be prepared for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users