Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The previous owners of my '94 LSi wagon spent big bucks replacing the air suspension just prior to selling me the car. And for now anyway (knock on wood) it seems to work properly.

Now to my question. I'm wondering if the system is supposed to have an auto-levelling feature to keep the car sitting level when you add cargo weight to the back? Or are the front and rear air bags all on one circuit? Thanks!

Haha, you and I both are lucky to reap the benefits of a brand-new air suspension without the cost of one! :D

My XT does not seem to do such a thing though. As a matter of fact, I usually lean against my car when refueling it, and I can actually feel the rear end sink down a little bit when I fill it up:confused: Yours has driver control though, doesn't it? Mine doesn't, it's all automatic...:mad:

Originally posted by Mike W

The previous owners of my '94 LSi wagon spent big bucks replacing the air suspension just prior to selling me the car. And for now anyway (knock on wood) it seems to work properly.

Now to my question. I'm wondering if the system is supposed to have an auto-levelling feature to keep the car sitting level when you add cargo weight to the back? Or are the front and rear air bags all on one circuit? Thanks!

There should be a button on the dash that will rasie the "rear" when you put cargo in the back.

//M

Yeah mine does have the ride height button on the dash and it raises the whole car about 1.75" when activated. But it doesn't seem to automatically level out the car if I add cargo. That's why I'm wondering if there's a mercury tilt switch that might not be working? Or is the system just not that sophisticated?

Sure wish I had a factory service manual. Guess I'll have to ask the Master Tech dudes at Smart Service, they should know.

I've spent considerable time researching Subaru's Air Suspension system. Both of my XT's are supposed to have it, but only the 86 actually does. Plus, my dad's 85 Turbo sedan has it too.

Anyway, my XT will sink as I add fuel, but as soon as I turn the key back on, it levels out. You have to have the key on for it to work at all. Try leaving the key in the ON position, then go sit on the tailgate. Listen for the valves to click, and the sound air entering the shocks. Plus, it should rise back up.

Each strut/shock has two reed switchs in it, and a magnet. This is how it knows when to add/bleed air to/from each corner of the car. Each corner has it's own dedicated air line, from the tank/compressor assembly, so each one is independant.

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to build new struts, and/or shocks for these cars, and I'm actually making progress. Hopefully they will be cheaper then the OEM units, and they will have adjustable low and high settings, so you can adjust ride height.

Hope that helps.

Later

RedLance