Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 lurches right and left

Ok this is kinda a new problem and it seems to be getting worse. The car is a 84 Hatch 4x4. When driving at pretty much any speed, when your accelerate the car lurches to the right. Then when I take my foot off the gas without hitting the brake the car lurches to the left? So I'm kinda at a loss whats going on. I checked the air pressure in the front tires they were equal. Oh and when it's in 4wd it's fine. Who can help?

Thanks

Yep - that's almost certainly a ball joint. Jack up each side, and remove the wheel. Insert a large prybar or screwdriver between the lower control arm and the hub. If you can move it at all, then the ball joint is shot. You can also look at the ball joint dust boot while the car is still on the ground. If it's torn, then the joint is likely bad, or going to be soon. One thing I have found, if you don't have a puller, and you find a good ball joint at the JY, then just take the whole lower control arm. It's easy enough to remove, and the hub end of the ball joint will come out easy if you remove the pinch bolt, and pry a little.

I find a lot of good ball joints at the JY - if the boots stay intact, they last a long time it seems. All the bad ones I've come across had torn boots....

GD

this may be on the extreme end, but was the case on the trashwagon...

the bolts on the front engine crossmember came loose, the whole side of the crossmember was hanging about an inch from the body, allowing the whole front end to articulate, when getting on the gas, the whole front suspension wouls want to drive out from under the car!

check the crossmember and see if it is securelt connected to the framerail, 14mm nuts.

also, with my modified struts, the nuts that held the strut cap on were loose, wollowed out a bit, and made things floppy up front. check that too.

and one more thing, the strut braces that go from the lower control arm to the swaybay mount. the one side is bolted to the control arm, and the back end goes through a hole with a bushing. this is what stabilizes the lower control arm. check to see if the 17mm nuts are tight, and there is no play in the bushing.

hope this helps, in addition to checking the balljoint and axle nuts!