Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To Swap or Not To Swap? Auto->5spd

'91 Legacy LS

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48748&highlight=tucson

I pulled his tranny today... and as far as I can tell it is leaking from the input shaft area? The part that plugs into the torque converter? He should be getting pics soon. Anyway.. we're exploring options what we can do for him.

Option #1 is seeing how much a local shop would charge to rebuild the auto.

Option #2 would be sourcing out a used auto tranny from a local junkyard, or board member. Or that one in CO for ~$400.

Option #3 (everyone's favorite) if it is at all cost effective would be sourcing out everything we need for the 5spd swap. I've done the swap on an 88 ea82 and it doesn't look like it would be too much harder to do on the ej22.. one thing I would like cleared up about the ej is if we would have to get the manual computer (it is air suspension if that makes a difference.)

Thoughts? Opionions? Anyone have what we need? Thanks!

i pulled all the parts for an Auto to manual swap and that convinced me never to try it. the only tricky part can be the wiring for the reverse lights and the pedal assembly was a PITA on an XT6.

but lots of people have done it. most say to get an entire parts car with good drivetrain so you have everything you need and don't need to gather parts. with the car being down that's the easiest way to go. accumulating the parts can be tricky. i just picked up two wrecked impreza's for parts, both with good motors and trans. that's what i would do if i were you. i'd sell you the one with manual trans but you're too far.

be sure to swap the rear diff if the ratios are different (they usually are manual to auto).

I'm planning on doing that to my 96 impreza, but i have a 91 Legacy transmission for it.

I could meet you half way to tuscon if you want the one i have, with matching 4.11 rear diff and the whole support part, incase thats different on the auto. PM me if your interested. I'm missing the pedal assembly and cable but other than that its complete.

As far as making the computer a MT instead of an Auto, i believe that its just a 5 volt reference signal, and what ever it is now you just do the opposite, as apparantly it changes from year to year. There is a really good writeup about doing the swap, i think its Legacy777 that wrote it, i'd check it out.

Good luck either way.

Okay, so I went to the junkyard and there is a '96 EJ22 w/ a 4 speed auto in it. I was hoping I could get someone to confirm or deny the compatability with the 96 tranny bolting up to the 91 ej22? Plug and Play? I hope so because I can get the tranny for $100 ... I need to check the rear diff to see if it is different... but I'm sure I could get the rear diff for fairly cheap.