Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What exhaust would you buy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mateo_Ryder

Mateo_Ryder

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • San Mateo

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:00 PM

I just picked up an 04 sti and i bought a hood and rims and now im looking at exhaust. I don't really know much about imports and what brands are good brands. Im looking for a deep throaty sound without poping or gurgling from back pressure what would you suggest.

#2 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

i've got some borla headers.... but they crack alot... but you can't beat a million mile warrenty :rolleyes:

#3 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

I had heard some early reports of people with Turbo XS exhausts melting the paint on their rear bumpers so maybe you should stay away from them. I have a friend with a twin tip Stromberg exhaust on a regular WRX. It sounds SO AWESOME and deep. He's been thinking about seeling the car and if he does I might buy the exhaust for my STi. I'd check them out.

Keith

#4 97OBW

97OBW

Banned

• Banned
  • 190 posts
  • waxhaw

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

id say leave it stock..it is a freakin STI!!!! only a select few of aftermarket exhausts sound nice ,most sound really ricey.. if u want nice sound u should have gotten a mustang gt and put some straight pipes on it( neighbor has one, house windows shake when he hits the gas hard and leave my street)

#5 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 05 January 2006 - 01:41 AM

You should try sourcing the Subaru "Sports muffler". Get on the phone to a dealer.

It's the only exhaust I know of that gives the right sounds without any headaches.

#6 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Ditto what Setright said. My Subaru "performance" sports muffler sounds just right, without the headache and irritating drone.

My second choice is Stromung: http://www.stromung.com/

#7 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

Ditto what Setright said. My Subaru "performance" sports muffler sounds just right, without the headache and irritating drone.

My second choice is Stromung: http://www.stromung.com/

Stromung... Thats the exhaust I was talking about. Stromberg made Carbs. Duh :drunk:

#8 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

id say leave it stock..it is a freakin STI!!!! only a select few of aftermarket exhausts sound nice ,most sound really ricey.. if u want nice sound u should have gotten a mustang gt and put some straight pipes on it( neighbor has one, house windows shake when he hits the gas hard and leave my street)

1. If you can afford an STi then by all means, i think he can afford a good sounding exhaust

2. This would be the forum for Subaru not mustangs, just so you know, the buzz bomb sound is more common/popular over here.

Mateo, check out www.Nasioc.com and do a search for the unibomber's manifesto, it has a whole bunch of really good info on every aspect of the car. should get you pointed in the right direction as far as what you want.

Hey, so you don't have to search, here it is.

#9 MDW25gt

MDW25gt

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

I have Borla header, and complete Stromung exhaust with the resinator. The resinator keeps the hwy drone down. The tip is relativly stock looking. No mellon shooter I dont have any crackeling.

#10 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,587 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

I have just the muffler on my WRX wagon, kept the same diameter pipe - couldn't be happier. Its a Strommung twin tip. Not raspy, doesn't wake the neighbors or attract the squeezers. Deep, throaty sound with authority on acceleration. Noticeable on the highway but not annoying I'd say. Bolted right on. got mine from http://www.boxer4racing.com/ no connection blah, blah

you might cruise the reviews at http://www.subarurev...72459b9e25d984d

also - there MAY be some sound files around. look for a 'sticky' or FAQ by unabomber at www.nasioc.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users